HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default At what age should I expect my DS to be out of a booster?

DS is 10 next week. He is about 57 inches tall and about 73 lbs. he rides in backless boosters in our cars. His seems to almost be out of the booster in DH's car. Not do much in mine. Does anyone here have older kids out of boosters! At what age/weight/height did that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My DS1 was 10 in April and he is in a booster still. He's close, but not quite tall enough to have the seatbelt fit right in my van. He's off by a lot in DH's Malibu. But, he was fine in a friend's small SUV last weekend. He's about 57" tall and 80 lbs now.
    Kris

Butt all the way back, feet flat on the floor. Obviously lapbelt as low as it can get and shoulderbelt on shoulder. Some cars, yeah, definitely he might be there or very nearly there, and others, yeah, it's gonna be another year. Standard sedan/smallish SUV's have shallower seat depths so those are usually sooner, while captain's chairs have a deeper seat depth and you need to wait for those femurs to get good and long. Like, my 54" almost 9 year old is fine in the third row of my Mazda 5 with the teeny seat, but my older kids definitely needed a booster in my old Odyssey till they were pushing 5 feet tall at age 11.
    Since I love any excuse to buy a new seat, I have one of these Incognitos for Leah now in each car, she loves it, I might make her use it longer than she technically needs it since I like how it keeps the lapbelt low and has an anti-submarine design to it http://carseatblog.com/24482/ellies-...tioner-review/
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks Jools. My DH's car is a Hyundai elantra. The seat is shallower than my Odyssey. DS is close to being booster less in DH's car. In my car he has a ways to go. He is not complaining about it. I was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is almost 10 1/2. He can ride in most sedans without a booster, but he still uses a backless in my Highlander and other larger vehicles with deeper seats. It's the "knees bent over the edge" requirement that gets him. His femurs just aren't long enough yet for the deeper seats.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Glad he doesn't complain, my older kids were pretty compliant, too. I have so many kids in and out of the car on any given day that it's nice to just frisbee the incognito around, lol.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yeah, my 11.5 year old still rides in a LBB most of the time. It just really depends on what vehicle he is riding in and where he is sitting. DS is a bit if a lightweight. He is still only about 64 pounds; long & lean. He's cool with his booster. We have a black Clek that is pretty subdued.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 turned 11 in August and is currently 60" tall and 108lbs. He stopped using a booster in my car (2nd row Mazda5) about 3 months ago when he passed the 5 step test. He stopped using a booster in our carpool and DH's cars (sedans) a few months after he turned 10. He was about 58" and 95lbs at that point. He used an Incognito in my car for the last 6 months or so and really liked it (after getting used to its hardness).
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Ds1 turned 11 in July. When he started 5th grade fall '13, he was 10, he wanted to be out of his nb booster. I told him we'd revisit at winter break time. He passed the '5' test in my '03 honda crv & dh's '06 Toyota sienna in dec 2013, 10 yrs old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk; moderator infantreflux.org/forum
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS is 10 in a month and we had this discussion last night. He's 60lbs and 53" so a long way from being tall enough. We had a friend in the car and he said, "you're still in a booster?" and DS said he's not tall enough and the shoulder strap hits his neck. It doesn't bother him yet. I'm going to try the incognito, as DS will need to be in a booster for a couple more years - he's just 60lbs, so barely meets requirements. A friend has a nearly 12 yo in a booster as she's even smaller.
    Last edited by niccig; 11-28-2014 at 03:15 PM.