Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sidney is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default When to go from convertible to high back booster?

My son, who will be 5 in January is 43" and 41 pounds. He currently is in a Britax Boulevard 70 CS. I am wondering we should keep him in that, or move to a high back booster? I haven't done much research yet on different seats, but I am interested in the Frontier because it seems like a very popular seat around here. It has a 5 point harness, correct? Can it go from high back to low back? I've seen some kids of DS's size in a low back booster and I am definitely not ready for that. I'm afraid that as he gets a bit older that he'll think his seat is too "babyish" so I'm wondering if it would be safe to move him to a highback booster?

Thanks!

If he's a compliant rider and you won't lose your voice telling him to sit right (a lot of people call this 'booster training', but since I've had kids too big for boosters for years and they still need reminders to sit right, it's truly a lifelong endeavor, lol), then he's a fine age for a highback now, no need for a bigger harnessed seat.
    Some to look at include the...oh, let me just link you here, scroll almost all the way down, lol http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/ One that's missing is the Diono Cambria, but it's fairly bulky, so maybe best for an only child or a captain's chair.
    If he's not complaining, then you have till his shoulders are at the top harness position to keep using it for now, if he's shoulders creep over the top, then it's outgrown.
    Hope that helps!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    My son, who will be 5 in January is 43" and 41 pounds. He currently is in a Britax Boulevard 70 CS. I am wondering we should keep him in that, or move to a high back booster? I haven't done much research yet on different seats, but I am interested in the Frontier because it seems like a very popular seat around here. It has a 5 point harness, correct? Can it go from high back to low back? I've seen some kids of DS's size in a low back booster and I am definitely not ready for that. I'm afraid that as he gets a bit older that he'll think his seat is too "babyish" so I'm wondering if it would be safe to move him to a highback booster?

Thanks!
    There are high back boosters, and there are also combination seats. Combination seats go from a FF harnessed seat to a high back booster. Your son would be just as safe in a harnessed combination seat as he is currently FF in his Britax. The frontier is a combination seat, and is a great option I think if you want a more grown up seeming seat, but don't want to give up the harness yet. Some other options are the graco nautilus and harmony defender among others. These seats will allow him to FF for a while more and then turn into a HBB used only with the seat belt.

Any opinions on the clek oobr booster? My daughter is 4.3 years old. She was 39 inches at her 4 yr check up and I just weighed her today and she's 32.5lbs. The oobr can be used for 4 years old, 38 inches but 33 lbs. We were going to pass her Britax to her baby brother since he's growing faster and may be out of his infant carrier before he hits 1 yo in April. I was looking at getting her a convertible booster like the Diono Radian but she's able to sit still well in the car. In fact, she buckles her self most of the time, even righting the click CS strap and I check to make sure its done correctly and that the chest buckle sits at the right place across armpit level. I haven't researched boosters yet so this is completely brand new. I like th idea that the clek oobr is stain resistant and can become backless.

4 is still really young for a booster, in terms of how much force is being packed into that adult belt on that tiny body, and that one tiny shoulder being asked to hold back that proportionately large head. Whenever possible, it's best to keep kids harnessed as long as possible, but at least 5-6.
    I tend to ignore the Cleks because my kids found them so uncomfortable when they were older (good padding, but *shallow* in the thighs! Their feet would immediately be up on the vehicle seat, knees in their chins, for leg support), but they are well-built, can't deny that.
    The Diono makes a tragically terrible booster,(never lets the belt retract, once a child leans forward. Also, has a 50 pound minimum limit, which is a valiant effort to keep kids harnessed longer, but for your kid, that's not till age 7+, and by then the seat will be too short for harness or boostering!) too, so skip that. Maybe a nice not-too-huge seat like the Recaro Performance Sport, which is great harnessed and a good booster.
    Julie

Sorry for the delay in responding! Thanks for all the replies! So a combo seat is safe? I've read where those aren't recommended and that you should buy a HBB and then a separate LBB. If I could do a 2-in-1 that would be wonderful!

Well, a combo (Harness now, highback booster later, some become a backless, like the Nautilus/Argos or Baby Trend) is THE choice if you wanted to keep him harnessed any longer, and then some of them make fine boosters later. If you think he'd still benefit from a harness, then you would want to look at a Frontier or Nautilus/Argos or Recaro Performance Sport, but personally I'd go with a highback booster (no harness) (most of which become backless) at his age and weight.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Well, a combo (Harness now, highback booster later, some become a backless, like the Nautilus/Argos or Baby Trend) is THE choice if you wanted to keep him harnessed any longer, and then some of them make fine boosters later. If you think he'd still benefit from a harness, then you would want to look at a Frontier or Nautilus/Argos or Recaro Performance Sport, but personally I'd go with a highback booster (no harness) (most of which become backless) at his age and weight.
    Could you recommend a HB without a harness? I thought they all had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    If he's a compliant rider and you won't lose your voice telling him to sit right (a lot of people call this 'booster training', but since I've had kids too big for boosters for years and they still need reminders to sit right, it's truly a lifelong endeavor, lol), then he's a fine age for a highback now, no need for a bigger harnessed seat.
    Some to look at include the...oh, let me just link you here, scroll almost all the way down, lol http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/ One that's missing is the Diono Cambria, but it's fairly bulky, so maybe best for an only child or a captain's chair.
    If he's not complaining, then you have till his shoulders are at the top harness position to keep using it for now, if he's shoulders creep over the top, then it's outgrown.
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks. I guess I am confused. I thought you'd want to keep a child in a 5 point harness for as long as possible? Why are there some boosters that have a harness and some without? I definitely want one that turns into a lowback booster.

uuuugh! I totally, totally missed in your first post about looking at the Frontier. Yes, nice choice, if you feel you want to keep him harnessed longer, and he's getting too tall for his current seat, go for it. If he still fits in his current seat (shoulders not over the top harness position), then no rush, keep him in it. Lots of kids are fine and cool with riding in a convertible through Kindergarten. At 5, though, I still don't think it's unsafe to move to a highback without a harness (Turbo, Parkway, Recaro, Diono Cambria, Peg Perego, Chicco KidFit, there are lots of choices!), it's really up to you whether you think he'll sit properly without being harnessed (Statistically, he's old enough to be very, very safe in a booster without a harness, in practicality, it can get annoying to remind kids to sit still in one, so a harness might save your voice )
    Look more at what you need now (combination seat, like the Frontier, or highback booster, like a Turbo or Parkway), and look for a backless booster later, you can spend as little as $14 on one and it's very nice to have a spare on hand for trips in friend's cars once Kindergarten starts.
    Last edited by Joolsplus2; 01-09-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    Julie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast