Thread: allergist?

Default allergist?

DS1 hadn't been sleeping restfully; waking up 2-3 times a night most nights for the past 3 half weeks now. It's contributing to behavioral issues and is now napping at his preschool, whereas previously dropped naps consistently sometime in July.

ds1 is allergic to pollen, just like me however i feel like he may have sinus issues as his eyes is always red under eyelids, look puffy, etc and keeps saying his nose bothers him etc. He took clartin without issues in the past, but even now that isn't helping him.

what could be going on with him? I want to call in his ped to get a referral to a pediatric allergist or should i ask for something else? help...as i'm at wits ends with the lack of sleep we're all suffering
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would start with having the pedi evaluate him. Then maybe an ENT? I'm not sure allergies would be waking him up. Any new bedding, fears, or other issues that could be waking him?

Does sound like allergy - black shiners underneath eyes? I can hear the girls wake and cough from postnasal drip so depending on how easily he can get back to sleep it certainly can upset that schedule.

For quick interim steps - how is the humidity in his room? Humidifiers are godsends here since heat has been on. Also, diffusing tea tree or another childsafe oil blend to help reduce nasal passage swelling could also help until you have more info. Other items would be allergen zip covers for pillows/mattress - that cuts out a lot if dust mites may be an issue.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I would start with having the pedi evaluate him. Then maybe an ENT? I'm not sure allergies would be waking him up. Any new bedding, fears, or other issues that could be waking him?
    He used to have fears of monsters, but he became reassured after we put in a gate at his door and kept his door open. That along with new bedtime routine, so it's getting to bed and falling asleep is great. It's the waking up, trying to get back asleep but struggling before falling sleep exhausted. That pattern seem to repeat at least 2-3x every night from 2-5:30am.

Also what gave me pause is DS1 comments of saying how his nose keep bothering him. I frequently see him rubbing and scratching at his nose even when he doesn't have a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Does sound like allergy - black shiners underneath eyes? I can hear the girls wake and cough from postnasal drip so depending on how easily he can get back to sleep it certainly can upset that schedule.

For quick interim steps - how is the humidity in his room? Humidifiers are godsends here since heat has been on. Also, diffusing tea tree or another childsafe oil blend to help reduce nasal passage swelling could also help until you have more info. Other items would be allergen zip covers for pillows/mattress - that cuts out a lot if dust mites may be an issue.
    We have a humidifier in his room, temp is just right too. Not too hot or cold and I usually dress him in just organic cotton Jammies unless really cold then thicker cotton material. I bought him a allergen zip cover after his Ped recommended it. It worked really well for his spring allergies.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Switch to Allegra at night. Get an air purifier for his room (no ozone). This combo has worked wonders for my kid with severe indoor allergies and related nighttime coughing/postnasal drip. I also second Marymoo on adding a humidifier.

Could be a mold or dust mite allergy. I would bring him to allergist.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

DS is allergic to dust mites. We were told by the allergist not to use the humidifier in his room because the humidity helps the dust mites to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Switch to Allegra at night. Get an air purifier for his room (no ozone). This combo has worked wonders for my kid with severe indoor allergies and related nighttime coughing/postnasal drip. I also second Marymoo on adding a humidifier.
    Which air purifier did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Which air purifier did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Austen Air Jr. Healthmate.