KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Minecraft PC - need help

My aunt bought her son a laptop for Christmas so he can play Minecraft and not be on their desktop. She has no idea how to set it up and she asked me to do it. I assumed it would be simple but I have no idea what I'm doing. My kids have never played Minecraft except on the app. Is this a program that I will download or is it something he plays online? I don't want to mess anything up. Will his account transfer to this new laptop?
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

once you set up a user name and password you pay for the program and anywhere you log in with that user name and password should bring it up.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    once you set up a user name and password you pay for the program and anywhere you log in with that user name and password should bring it up.
    Ok so I need to get his log in and password? Does it take that long to download? I think it would be much simpler if she just let him do this when he got the computer. I guess she wants it all set up, but it can't be that big of a download.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Go to https://minecraft.net/
    Click "Get Minecraft"
    Create a Mojang account if you don't already have one - this will be the login to the account
    Follow remaining steps to purchase and download the game to the laptop
    Login and play

ETA: The Minecraft PE app for a mobile device is not the same as the one for the computer. I just opened Minecraft PE on my iPod touch and I don't see any login info required.

ETA again: I'm confused if this is your son she purchased the laptop for or her own son? If for her own son and he already plays on the PC then he just needs to download Minecraft from the website to the laptop and login. The login will work from any computer, but only on one computer at a time.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 11-24-2014 at 05:06 PM.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Go to: https://minecraft.net/download

Click on "Minecraft.exe"

It looks like that executable is 660KB, so not very big.

You will need the log in and password to actually play, but that is really all there is to it.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, so if this is a kid who already plays Minecraft on a PC he can log in to his account from anywhere but the saved worlds are stored locally. So those would need to be moved to the correct location on the laptop if he wants to access them from there. If he just plays on servers it shouldn't be an issue.

mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrystalS View Post
    Will his account transfer to this new laptop?
    Once she downloaded the game, established the username and account, it can be launched in any other laptop or desktop. We have it both on our imac and my DD's laptop.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You have to pay for a Minecraft PC account; I think it's $25/person. Once he has a PC account, he can log into Minecraft on any PC that has Minecraft installed. The program itself is free.

It is completely unrelated to Minecraft PE for devices.

Ok as far as I know he already has an account and has been playing. I'm just going to tell her it would be easier to let him download himself.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10