Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Looking at Installing Security Cameras

After a strange 3:30 am knock on our door and severe vandalism to a vacant house in our neighborhood, I am ready to install a video surveillance system. I'm looking at one at Costco that has 4 cameras, 8 channels and a DVR. Anything specific I need to look for? Anything I should consider that I may not know about?
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

I thought about putting a system in after a rash of burglaries a few years back, but changed my mind after my neighbor put in a fancy system (with a full crew of installers who spent all day at his house, so it was not an off-the-shelf pack). He can't see squat with them. His system got footage of the young teenage couple who were knocking on doors and then breaking in when no one answered. He told me that his cameras caught them breaking into the house across the street. You could see them walking down the street and then the boy walked around to the back yard while the girl waited on the porch, BUT, you can't see their faces. His system also got footage of the car that did donuts in our cul-de-sac, but the resolution at night wasn't high enough to get the license plate. He also said his system did not catch the person(s) who egged DH's car on our driveway (and he's our next door neighbor so he should have had a perfect view). So his system seems pretty useless to me unless his house gets directly targeted during the daytime and the suspects come close enough to his front porch to get a clear shot of their faces. I will say that there can be a deterrent effect if suspects see the cameras on his chimney and the sides of his house.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think the Costco one would be perfect! A local officer told me that's exactly the system she put around her house. We put SD video motion lights around the house, and have a couple strategically placed security cameras. Resolution is AMAZING and streams right to our phone if we want it to.

We have a single camera installed in the eaves of the lower roof of our home by a local, independent security company that operates through a national alarm monitoring center. The video (motion triggered) streams to us through alarm.com. It's very useful as I can pull it up on my phone or iPad while nursing to see if it's my neighbor or the UPS guy, or in the middle of night when DH travels and something triggers it (usually bird, lightening). It sends notifications for each video capture of the specified area of the camera - the area can be customized to avoid cars zooming by in the actual street etc and also the sensitivity. Picture is pretty clear too, even at night but we leave our garage coach lights on so the whole area is well lit anyway.

I also think it's a deterrent as it is visible from the street so those coming on the property most probably will see it, especially at night as there is a small red light on it. I'm happy with it, and would probably get a second one for our large backyard area with a motion triggered spot light too.

Eta - I ca also view live video of the feed as well to see what's happening outside. I really do like the alarm.com app! Has great other features as well. I would see if the Costco system is compatible.
    DS 2014