Default Ideas for gifts for Assisted Living Nurses and CNAs?

I'm guessing the same thinking here is that for teachers, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any great ideas? My mother had to be moved into assisted living and her physical capabilities deteriorated much more rapidly than anyone expected. Her nurses and CNA's have been amazing, going above and beyond to keep us informed, look for solutions and working to keep her in her apartment (vs having to move to a higher level of care or the nursing home side). I plan on getting various denominations of gift cards, but I'd also like to pair it with something small around $5 each. Any ideas?
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't believe the workers at my mom's facility can accept cash/gift cards. I'm planning on sending a box of small cones of Popcornopolis from Costco. I thought the individual servings would be good (less germ sharing) and there will be enough for the cooks, etc as well.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Unfortunately, I agree with pp. Nurses are not usually allowed to accept cash or GC. So, we always get stuck with food. I agree though with getting something individually wrapped. It's very kind of you to think about your mom's nursing care staff. We very rarely get any recognition. Something else that may be fun are cute things like fun socks or hand lotions, small bath and body type of things... Things like that. The best thing would be to contact the director of nursing to ask what their policy is.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Just adding to the chorus. We weren't allowed to accept anything with "monetary value" including money, GCs, and even little trinkets (because the resident could say we stole it from them). One time that I know of, the policy was bent, but they asked the resident manager before doing it. (The gift in question was a tiny picture frame ornament. It still hangs on my tree 15 years later ) Honestly, baked goods and edible treats were always a nice, unexpected treat!

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When my mom was in a facility it was suggested to bring in boxes of yummy, higher end frozen treats, ice cream bars, etc so they wouldn't need to be consumed right away and could be enjoyed after all of the baked goods.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly? A heartfelt thank you is plenty (nurses don't get thanked a lot). Write it out in a card and that is even better (we can look at it when times are tough). We don't expect anything from people, so just recognition of any kind is very much appreciated. Since other people and docs tend to bring stuff at this time of year, if you choose to get a group gift, maybe consider candy/snacks that are individually wrapped so they will last a while.

Thank you for even thinking about the nurses - we really do appreciate it!

Thanks all. While I do understand the thought process behind the "no gifts" I also think it stinks. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if there is an official policy. I try to avoid food gifts because everyone has such different tastes and diets. Sigh. I will figure out something fun that is individually wrapped so they can take it home and enjoy it when they want to.
    Alaina

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There was a thread recently (what's your favorite tea- something like that), and someone said they put together a basket of tea/chapstick/kleenex/hand lotion for the teachers every winter. I think that would be a great idea for the nurses.

I am trying to think of something for the staff at my dad's nursing home, so this was helpful to read. It is really hard to think of something for so many people, so many shifts, etc.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WitMom View Post
    There was a thread recently (what's your favorite tea- something like that), and someone said they put together a basket of tea/chapstick/kleenex/hand lotion for the teachers every winter. I think that would be a great idea for the nurses.
    Love it! Thank you.
    Alaina