Default Chest Clip Sliding Down-Help

My DD (2 years, 9 months) has discovered that she can slide down her chest clip and get her arms out of the straps on her Diono Radian RXT. She is still rear-facing, and wiggles her arms out to try to turn around and see/talk to me. Is there anything I can do to immobilize it? I see that there are velcro closures that can go over it to keep it from being unbuckled by the child, but she's not unbuckling it. She is about 30 lbs. 33", so not near the seat limits for RF. Still I'm tempted to turn her FF in hopes that she would stay in her straps since she could "see" me then. I figure strapped securely FF has to be safer than RF with her arms out! Help!!
    Mom to DS 7/2004
    and DD 3/2012

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have heard that you can buckle the chest clip through a toilet paper tube (although this might help more for unbuckling than for sliding. Kids that young don't usually have the dexterity to get their fingers in there to move the clip. Also, if she can slide her arms out if the chest clip is moved, the straps might not be tight enough to begin with.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I have heard that you can buckle the chest clip through a toilet paper tube (although this might help more for unbuckling than for sliding. Kids that young don't usually have the dexterity to get their fingers in there to move the clip. Also, if she can slide her arms out if the chest clip is moved, the straps might not be tight enough to begin with.
    Jules said once (I think, it's been years) that you can use the toilet paper tube under the clip...like when you have to move the straps up to a new slot, just thread the straps through the tubes. I guess you could also cut them open and then duct tape them closed too.

So far so good with having kids that don't do that, I have one impulsive child that we've gotten onto about car seat safety .

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Maybe a headrest mirror? We used them for our kids so they could see us and vice versa.

Here are links to some older threads about this, might give you some ideas to try:
    http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...be#post3996442
    http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...be#post3079600
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Maybe a headrest mirror? We used them for our kids so they could see us and vice versa.
    This is what I did for DS1, but he wasn't really struggling to get his arms out of his straps though. I only got the headrest mirror Cuz DH & I are deaf, so whoever is driving can't always turn our head to lipread DS1. Ever since the mirror, no problems! So perhaps try that and tell your DD to look into the mirror to "see you".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    This is what I did for DS1, but he wasn't really struggling to get his arms out of his straps though. I only got the headrest mirror Cuz DH & I are deaf, so whoever is driving can't always turn our head to lipread DS1. Ever since the mirror, no problems! So perhaps try that and tell your DD to look into the mirror to "see you".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm in awe that you can lipread through a mirror (two, actually).

Ugh, tough age! Definitely try the mirror and distractions so she forgets it, and praise when she's sitting properly. I'm not above ipads and bribes when it comes to carseat safety
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#