Thread: Is this legal?

Default Is this legal?

I bought a gift from sharper image. As I was checking out I noticed a pop up box in the lower left hand corner. I almost didn't pay attention to it, but then I started to read it. I said that with my purchase I would get a free issue of wired magazine. In the back of my mind I remembered randomly getting wired magazine once in the past and not knowing why or where the subscription came from. I thought "oh, that's how" and kept reading. Then I saw it said if you did NOT want it to send in the attached firm and they would reimburse your $12!!! Then I got angry. If they are willing to reimburse your $12 then to me it means it's not free. It means they built the cost into every item they sell. Also I'm angry because they should make it very obvious that you have to opt in to something like this. Not make opting in the default and you have to put work into opting out. I just filled out the reimbursement form and paid to use my stamp to get my $12 back for a "free" subscription that I never wanted, but I am really angry that in the past I got a "free" subscription that I never wanted. I know it's only $12 and I need to let it go, but I seriously don't see how this should be legal.

Last edited by Chitowngirl; 12-17-2014 at 05:31 PM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've seen that a lot. It does not mean your cost was higher.

When I reserved a campsite this summer ($12/night) I got a "free" Lucky magazine subscription which I opted out of. I got a check for I think $10. The camping reservation goes to the state, not any company. So I think the $10 must have come from the promotions department of the magazine.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just used a code from Sephora that gave me a "free" magazine. Then I printed off the form to opt out and got $10 back. I just viewed it as a $10 coupon because they didn't know I was going to use that code so they didn't raise the price on the item I was buying.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with PPs. It does not mean you "paid" for that magazine in the price unknowingly. Namely, I do not think your cost was any higher because of the magazine.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Ok, thanks for talking me off the ledge....

I still think it's a little shady. I mean, it's a technology magazine - I can't opt out online!!!

elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You aren't paying for it. The magazine wants more subscribers for their advertising numbers so they are willing to give the magazine away to buyers that they think are a good match for their magazine.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    I agree with PPs. It does not mean you "paid" for that magazine in the price unknowingly. Namely, I do not think your cost was any higher because of the magazine.
    Totally agree. I would see it as "cool, I just got $12 off".

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowngirl View Post
    Ok, thanks for talking me off the ledge....

I still think it's a little shady. I mean, it's a technology magazine - I can't opt out online!!!
    They want to make it inconvenient for you to opt out. Because if it's inconvenient, fewer people will actually bother. It's not about giving you back your $12. Like PP said, the more subscribers they have, the more they can charge for advertising space - and advertising income is huge for magazines.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You click the X at the top of the screen to opt out I would think. I have gotten Lucky, and Martha Stewart this way and I wasn't auto billed for the renewal either.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)