Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yeah. Though if my DH saw it on a grocery list he'd come home with vanilla beans and some vodka and tell me to make it from scratch *sigh*.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

would i know???? of course, i do all the cooking and baking. Would my wife know??? not a chance
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Count me in the group that saw the title and figured it was slang for something....and I didn't know what that was

I don't know if DH would know what vanilla was, or more specifically, he'd know but not know where to find it. I call it vanilla, but would probably add 'extract' and "real **not imitation**" to the description on the list. He's getting better about these things, but I've definitely had to point out looking at the produce before purchasing, checking expiration dates, etc. Actually doing low carb has made him a lot more label/quality conscious
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

If I just wrote Vanilla on the list he'd probably ask for clarification. If I wrote Vanilla Extract he'd know where to look but he'd probably buy imitation. I am always very specific with him, sometimes even texting him pictures of the packaging of the exact item I want. I'm particular and he isn't so it works for us!
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks its odd to refer to vanilla extract as just "vanilla"? Is that a regional thing? I've always said vanilla extract, never just vanilla.
    Southern here, and I just say vanilla. DH would know what it is (wouldn't have when we married but that's mainly because you can't really get it where he comes from - they use a powder form of vanilla rather than liquid).
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, he'd know, but I usually have a ton on hand, so he wouldn't have to go out!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine would I group things on his list to areas of the store I've done this for years. I may get a call from the store rather than him guessing.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Chances are it would be DH giving me a list, but I actually would not be sure if he meant vanilla beans or the liquid vanilla flavoring/vanilla extract. I would try to get the natural flavoring instead of the artificial.
    If I gave him the list, he would probably assume I meant the vanilla flavoring/vanilla extract.
    DD
    DS

Yes, my DH would know what this meant. He does most of our grocery shopping these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    But those first 6 months of him "learning" to shop for our family were painful!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks its odd to refer to vanilla extract as just "vanilla"? Is that a regional thing? I've always said vanilla extract, never just vanilla.
    No, I never refer to it as "vanilla", but if I'm jotting down a grocery list with toddlers around me I often shorthand it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast