Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We say, "You get what you get, and you don't fret." I love the rhyme and the meaning.

My dc'a preschool teachers used to say "You get what you get and you don't fuss a bit", so my kids still say that. Doesn't bother me and I like it better than "throw a fit".

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Exactly. Your feelings are what they are. But not throwing a fit even when things don't go your way is an important skill.
    My kids also learned it at PreK and I think its fine taken to mean no tantrums. Expressing your feelings and even having disappointment is fine. I think its useful tool as a reminder for kids when a teacher is about to hand out spoons or cups of various colors to 20 preK kids.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

rachelh is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use "you get what you get, and you don't get upset." I think DD1 picked it up in school - one of her teachers used to say it. Often times, my kids say it to themselves or eachother rather than me having to say it. It really works for us!
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The phrase (in any variation) does not bother me.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids learned the upset version at school and I don't mind it as long as it's used in reaction to trivial things like the "wrong" color cup or the "wrong" identical item. I wouldn't use it around larger disappointments. We went to a birthday party recently and one of the kids was throwing a fit over not getting the "right" piece of cake. One of the other kids looked over at him and said "you get what you get and you don't get upset" and the first boy immediately quieted and started calmly eating his cake. It was almost magical.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't mind if other folks use it, but it's not a phrase that I like to hear coming out of my mouth.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    The phrase (in any variation) does not bother me.
    Same here. I actually like the don't throw a fit version.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I just don't think it's that big a deal. I do prefer it with "don't throw a fit" at the end because kids definitely need to learn that there is a time and a place for fit throwing.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OP, have you ever taught or volunteered in a classroom of preschool or elementary aged children before? If you ever have, you will understand this phrase, esp if something is being passed out that isn't EXACTLY the same, like different colors or flavors or whatever. I used think it was slightly obnoxious, but when I volunteered for preschool, I could see why it's used. Now I teach kids from preschool to adults and omg, the preschool and elementary kids are AWFUL, many with very poor manners!!! I use a lot of things like dancing scarves and whatnot to teach my classes and every kid starts trying to demand that they want this color or that color or they don't like whatever card/stuffed animal I gave them, etc.. So, to head off the, "grumblers," before I start passing out materials, I tell the kids, you get what you get and you don't get upset. The classroom teachers back me up and repeat the same thing as soon as a kid starts to whine or complain, b/c once one kids starts whining, it can cause more to whine. If you let ONE kid get the color he/she wants, then EVERY kid wants to demand the color that they want too. This includes when I give out freebies, like stickers, erasers, etc.. and it is a FREEBIE and the kids will complain that they don't like the color. Kids need to learn manners, getting a blue instead of a red dancing scarf, that isn't even yours to keep is not the end of the world!
    Last edited by hellokitty; 12-19-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast