Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Next year: "I hope you can join us Christmas Day for dinner! We are having a delicious meal. It's a surprise."
    It was DH that told her all about the prime rib. She didn't say anything to him, which is typical, but then called me straight away to complain about the prime rib. I'm prepared for more comments with a, "You need to talk to your son about this, it's what he wants for Christmas dinner."

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

um it is your hosting so you get to do what you want. I think the menu is awesome. the fact that so many GUESTS have such strong opinions on how things are done is RUDE. Miss Manners would totally not approve.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    um it is your hosting so you get to do what you want. I think the menu is awesome. the fact that so many GUESTS have such strong opinions on how things are done is RUDE. Miss Manners would totally not approve.
    ITA! I think your menu sounds wonderful! Down to the glazed carrots which would probably go better for the masses than the beet. I also love your idea of crostini appetizer too! Honestly, I think you're covered on proteins between prime rib and honey ham. If guests/little ones isn't in mood for going heavy on meat, there's still a lot of options to choose from with your menu!

Enjoy! And do let us know how it all went too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I think your menu sounds very good. I would come over and be happy! However, I have a picky eater who would only eat rolls too (it drives me insane!). I always appreciate a host who considers any meal challenges we may have, but never do I expect it or ask for it.
    I think you have been very thoughtful in your selections.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think your menu sounds great! I do make an effort to serve foods my guests will enjoy.....but I'm lucky in that my family and in-laws are pretty appreciative of whatever I serve. I find it completely rude and inappropriate that your MIL would complain about the food you're serving. So rude. When having young children over, I do make an attempt to have some basic food most kids will eat -- pasta, for example -- but I don't stress too much about it and I definitely don't spend much time on it!
    Lizi

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your menu sounds wonderful! Don't change a thing and don't stress. My family has a ton of food allergies so I tend to have that on my radar, but I hate imposing and wouldn't mention a thing to you if you didn't specifically ask me. I'd just be happy to be invited to a lovely holiday dinner.
    K

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I have to agree with this. I don't complain when I go to someone's house and the meal isn't to my liking. Every time we visit the ILs and FIL is grilling steak, he tries to do mine the way I like it, medium-rare. MIL will then come along and put it back on the grill saying it isn't cooked yet, he tries to protest and tell her it's for me, but she won't have any of it. FIL always apologizes to me that it's too cooked. I understand she likes it very well done and is worried about bacteria in a medium-rare steak, but she's not eating it. I am. And that's how I like it to be cooked. I eat my very well-done steak without complaint, because it's rude to complain.

Anyways, I think I have all the bases covered with a few things everyone will eat.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I have to agree with this. I don't complain when I go to someone's house and the meal isn't to my liking. Every time we visit the ILs and FIL is grilling steak, he tries to do mine the way I like it, medium-rare. MIL will then come along and put it back on the grill saying it isn't cooked yet, he tries to protest and tell her it's for me, but she won't have any of it. FIL always apologizes to me that it's too cooked. I understand she likes it very well done and is worried about bacteria in a medium-rare steak, but she's not eating it. I am. And that's how I like it to be cooked. I eat my very well-done steak without complaint, because it's rude to complain.

Anyways, I think I have all the bases covered with a few things everyone will eat.
    Wow your MIL is a piece of work huh! She needs to worry about herself and look away if she doesn't like the rareness of the meat you're eating. In the future I would ask her why she is worried about bacteria levels.... did she buy the meat that was discounted for quick sale cause it was old?

I think your menu sounds great. Hope that MIL and the picky kids all enjoy their holiday meal .... and you too!

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    But more than once I've sat at her table when many adult guests had to figure out how to navigate a meal full of foods they didn't like. It wasn't very comfortable for anyone.
    just very curious, but can you make up a sample menu of a dinner she gave? or if you can remember the real one, better!
    glib-gabbety puke stockings.
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, let me preface this by saying that while *I* am not picky, both of my BILs are picky (my DH's sisters' husbands). So it isn't that the foods were exotic, they just weren't things my BILs would eat. And MIL knew this, and made the menu she wanted to make anyway. So when we sat down to eat a holiday meal together, there was almost nothing that they would eat, and nothing that was kid friendly. My SILs kids are very picky, and mine are also picky, but perhaps a little less so. My SILs were upset with her and ended up cooking a second meal after dinner that everyone would eat. MIL was angry at everyone and everyone was angry at her. It was not fun.

It was a Thanksgiving meal and my MIL was in a garlic phase. The turkey had a garlic butter rub under the skin. I couldn't eat it, it was so garlicky, and I'll eat almost anything. All of the sides had some kind of twist to them. I really don't remember the exact dishes besides the turkey. And we were all staying with them, so it wasn't like we could just go home afterwards and eat, KWIM?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast