Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Quick advice on breakfast casseroles

For those that make breakfast casseroles ahead of time, how much time is allowed? Can I make it at 8 am to cook at 8 am the next day? My casserole has potatoes and afraid it will disintegrate overnight. Advice please!!!

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I usually make two types of breakfast casseroles, one a blueberry french toast and the other eggs/sausage/bread/cheese. I have only made them the night before (maybe at 8pm for the next day 8am). I'm not sure how well bread or potatoes would hold up for 24 hours, but also thinking they wouldn't break down enough to not work at all.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My family makes one with egg, bread, cheese, sausage, mushrooms and peppers and we always make it 24 hrs ahead of time and never have any issues with it. I have made that shredded cheesy potato casserole a day ahead of time too with no problems.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not sure about potatoes but strata would prob be fine for 24 hrs. Ditto overnight french toast, especially with drier bread.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    I usually make two types of breakfast casseroles, one a blueberry french toast and the other eggs/sausage/bread/cheese. I have only made them the night before (maybe at 8pm for the next day 8am). I'm not sure how well bread or potatoes would hold up for 24 hours, but also thinking they wouldn't break down enough to not work at all.
    Would you mind posting the blueberry French toast recipe? Sounds delish!

TIA!

I make mine the evening before, and it does have (frozen, thawed) hashbrowns in it. No problem with them disintegrating but I only refrig for 12 hours after making.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

the frozen hashbrown/cheese/sourcream/cream mush soup casserole is fine to make ahead. I make and freeze, then just add a few mins to the baking time.

for the egg casseroles...do you assemble the entire thing the night before, and cook in the am, or cook day before? can the raw eggs sit out in the fridge like that?

I usually cook the veggies (mushroom, onion, garlic, spinach) and sausage the day before, then assemble and bake day of, but I would love to move more of that to the day before, if possible.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    the frozen hashbrown/cheese/sourcream/cream mush soup casserole is fine to make ahead. I make and freeze, then just add a few mins to the baking time.

for the egg casseroles...do you assemble the entire thing the night before, and cook in the am, or cook day before? can the raw eggs sit out in the fridge like that?

I usually cook the veggies (mushroom, onion, garlic, spinach) and sausage the day before, then assemble and bake day of, but I would love to move more of that to the day before, if possible.
    I'm confused. We keep our overnight casseroles in the fridge and bake in AM. The eggs are fine.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by meggie t View Post
    Would you mind posting the blueberry French toast recipe? Sounds delish!

TIA!
    Here you go

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/overnig...st/detail.aspx

It is really good!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    Have you tried decreasing the amt of sugar in the recipe before? And also, do you think it would be ok with frozen blueberries? We have a of them that we picked over the summer, so they taste better than the store bought ones.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast