Default What to do in Atlanta for 2-3 days over New Year's

We'll be in Atlanta for 2-3 days from Dec 30-Jan 1 or 2. Any suggestions for things to do with DD4 and DS8? We are hoping to visit the aquarium. Do you think that will take an entire day? Is the Lego Discovery Center worth the price? Any ideas for New Year's? Thanks!
    Last edited by moosemama; 12-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What to do in Atlanta for 2-3 days over New Year's

The aquarium would probably be around 3-4 hrs, depending on if you see the dolphin show and/or eat there. At 4 and 8 your DC would probably really enjoy it. Haven't been to the Lego place, so can't comment on that. The Center for Puppetry Arts is really cool and fun for the whole family. Not sure what shows they are doing now, but it would be something to check into.

ETA: The zoo is decent and would be fun for an afternoon if the weather cooperates.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    The aquarium would probably be around 3-4 hrs, depending on if you see the dolphin show and/or eat there. At 4 and 8 your DC would probably really enjoy it. Haven't been to the Lego place, so can't comment on that. The Center for Puppetry Arts is really cool and fun for the whole family. Not sure what shows they are doing now, but it would be something to check into.

ETA: The zoo is decent and would be fun for an afternoon if the weather cooperates.
    Thanks for the reply! I hadn't heard of the Center for Puppetry Arts. It does look cool! DS loves aquariums, so I'll plan for close to a full day there. Maybe with some shopping after! Is everything open on New Year's Day?

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We always go to the Varsity when we are in Atlanta. Chili dogs, onion rings, and orange whip!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I hadn't heard of the Center for Puppetry Arts. It does look cool! DS loves aquariums, so I'll plan for close to a full day there. Maybe with some shopping after! Is everything open on New Year's Day?
    If your kids are into it, you could easily spend most of a day at the aquarium.

I don't have much idea about shopping in the city. We live in the burbs and do almost all of our shopping out here Atlantic station might be something to check into, though. I know IKEA is there, if that's something you are into.

Hope you have a great trip. I also second the suggestion to eat at the Varsity. Yum!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Thanks Ms B and BDKmom! DS will be very into the aquarium and I'm sure could spend the entire day there. I'm not sure how long DD will last though.

I want to go to Hanna Andersson for sure (since we don't have any in Canada). I'm not sure what other stores to check out. I am into IKEA (!), but we have 4 within an hours drive of us, so I'm OK not visiting the Atlanta one, but thank you for the suggestion! I wish we could lose an IKEA or two close to home and gain a Hanna Andersson instead!

Sounds like we definitely need to eat at the Varsity (though I have no idea what orange whip is...)!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not too far from the Aquarium (near the Olympic memorial area, I think) is the Coca Cola Museum. On the top floor is a room where you can sample different Coke products sold in other countries--some very unusual flavors to an American palate! It's been a few years since I went, but think it would be fun for you guys. You wouldn't need more than a couple hours there.

Phipps Plaza will be your best shopping if you want Hanna and are staying in the city. There is also a Hanna outlet at the North Ga Premium outlets in Dawsonville. Not sure what part of the city you are staying in, so don't know how far of a drive that would be. Looks like Phipps is open 10-6 on New Years. Can't find the holiday hours for the outlet, but I'm sure you could give them a call.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    Not too far from the Aquarium (near the Olympic memorial area, I think) is the Coca Cola Museum. On the top floor is a room where you can sample different Coke products sold in other countries--some very unusual flavors to an American palate! It's been a few years since I went, but think it would be fun for you guys. You wouldn't need more than a couple hours there.
    Thanks! DH would probably enjoy that!

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    Phipps Plaza will be your best shopping if you want Hanna and are staying in the city. There is also a Hanna outlet at the North Ga Premium outlets in Dawsonville. Not sure what part of the city you are staying in, so don't know how far of a drive that would be. Looks like Phipps is open 10-6 on New Years. Can't find the holiday hours for the outlet, but I'm sure you could give them a call.
    Thanks! I think we will go to Phipps Plaza as the Lego store/Discovery Center is there as well. I'd love to go to the outlet, but it looks like it would be too far away. We're planning on staying somewhere just off the I-75.