Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Missing DS2's concert?

DS2 has been practicing for a Christmas Choir concert for the past two months. He's SO excited about it and he's worked really hard. He is in the front and center. Well, of course today I'm SICK. Really sick. I've overdone the past couple of days and I'm starting to feel it in my chest. I don't think I have pneumonia or bronchitis YET but if I move too fast I get a coughing fit that just won't stop.

I feel like I have to miss DS2's concert but the very thought that just KILLS me. It doesn't help that DS2 is my middle child in every way--the one that craves attention so much and is constantly squeezed between DS1 with all his medical concerns and DS3 who is extremely stubborn and sensitive and has daily tantrums!

WWYD? If you thought you could keep from coughing during just PART of his performance, would you try to go to at least part? DH will be able to go as will my parents, DH's parents and some of our in town extended family so he will have a good showing no matter what.

TIA!

Please don't go. You could infect others. Have your DH take a video. Dd missed her concert last week because she was sick. She was so incredibly disappointed, but I wasn't going to expose others to her germs.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would wait and see how the day progresses and see how you feel right before it's time to go. If possible, I would take my own car, so if I had to leave I could. I would sit somewhere in the audatorium that would allow me to leave quickly if the coughing got really bad. Finally I would prepare DS2 that there is a possibility that you might not be able to go. I would let him know just how much you want to see him sing after all his hard work etc, and that you will try your best. ugh, it's never convenient to get sick when you are a parent! Fingers crossed things work out for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Please don't go. You could infect others. Have your DH take a video. Dd missed her concert last week because she was sick. She was so incredibly disappointed, but I wasn't going to expose others to her germs.
    Really? Even if it is just a cold? I don't have a fever and it isn't the "stomach flu", just a cold that I've neglected! This week (while sick) already I've volunteered in two classrooms, babysit (always expressing "hey, I have a little cold" which was always fine with the parent), and attended a class play. If I hadn't overdone I think I would be completely better by now. It is just the severity of the pain in the chest (that's where my colds always tend to go if they worsen) that is making me worry. I don't know that that symptom would be contagious and I bet anything there are worse germs that will be in that auditorium so I am genuinely interested that a cold would keep you away! I'm just used to functioning almost all winter with SOME little bug or so. Maybe I'm just super rude?

Are you opposed to a cough suppressant? If you're not feverish, and it's just a cough, I wouldn't stay home. I would not cough on people, and take precautions with hand washing/sanitizer.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would go, drive separate, and plan to sit in the back.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Are you opposed to a cough suppressant? If you're not feverish, and it's just a cough, I wouldn't stay home. I would not cough on people, and take precautions with hand washing/sanitizer.
    Yes, I agree.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I don't think I've used one of these since I was a child. I'm not opposed. What do you recommend?

Get some Robitussin or Mucinex. Also, if you can, take a thermal cup with tea and lots of honey in it. The warm liquid will help, and honey helps soothe coughs. If you feel like you may cough, take a sip. I definitely would try to go.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No fever? No pukies? GO!!!!

Read the label and get something that has a decongestant and expectorant. I'd take it one hour before the show starts, so that it has time to work in your system, plus shouldn't wear off before you are done. I don't care for the 12 hour stuff, personally I find it really hard on my system. The every-4-hour meds are a bit of a bother but IMP they work better.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast