lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default defrosting and then refreezing?

last week i roasted a chicken for dinner. i threw the carcass in the slow cooker overnight with garlic and ginger to get a bone broth base for chicken soup. but the week was hectic so I didn't make the soup. I just strained it all and froze it.

in my haste, I was lazy and literally froze all of it. together. it's a lot.

so now i plan to make the soup tomorrow. i'm going to have to thaw it.

was thinking of making just a huge pot of soup. and then could i refreeze some as ready-made soup, even though the broth has been previously frozen and then thawed?
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I couldn't give you the official food safety answer on this one, but I can say I've done it multiple times before with no ill-effects. I guess I never even considered it being re-frozen since the broth was cooked again and turned into something new....to me, it's like defrosting chicken, cooking a casserole with it, then freezing the casserole. Technically, the chicken's been defrosted then re-frozen, but people do that all the time...

BTW -- love the idea of ginger in the broth base! I never though of that -- I'm going to have to try that!
    Lizi