Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Lost recipe for prime rib - need for Christmas Dinner

I had a recipe from a friend that I can not find. I have emailed her, but with the holidays I totally understand if she can't get it to me. Anyone else have a fool proof recipe? I'm getting a 4 bone prime rib roast.

Thanks.
    Last edited by niccig; 12-22-2014 at 01:01 AM.

I have never made it myself, but my Mom swares by a recipe that you cook and then do not open the door and leave in the oven for hours.
    Sierra
    Last edited by craftysierra; 12-22-2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    2 boys 2 girls

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by craftysierra View Post
    I have never made it myself, but my Mom swares by a recipe that you cook and then do not open the door and leave in the oven for hours.
    Sierra
    That's my friend's recipe. I need to know the temp to cook it out and for how long. Then I know you turn it off and then before eating, turn it back on for about 30 mins but I don't know the temp.

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also have used the pp's mom's recipe. I've only cooked it once. I think it was a celebrity chef's recipe? Maybe Ina Garten or Paula Deen. It turned out well.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by octmom View Post
    Don't mean to hijack OP but if you use this method what sides do you serve with the rib roast if your oven door can't be open for so long? If you/anyone have recipes you can recommend for sides that go really well with this rib roast recipe I would appreciate because I am thinking of making this during the holidays because it looks delicious!

TIA!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by plusbellelavie View Post
    Don't mean to hijack OP but if you use this method what sides do you serve with the rib roast if your oven door can't be open for so long? If you/anyone have recipes you can recommend for sides that go really well with this rib roast recipe I would appreciate because I am thinking of making this during the holidays because it looks delicious!

TIA!
    If you do that method, sometimes it will stay warm (wrapped up) for an hr or more. Then you put your sides in while it rests.
    Chowhound poster fourunder has good prime rib help on that site.

Ina's spinach gratin is nice with it.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by plusbellelavie View Post

TIA!
    I always make twice baked potatoes. Recently I've been doing it as a casserole rather than in the skins, just for ease of preparation. Creamed spinach also goes nicely. Maple glazed carrots.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by octmom View Post
    That's the one I used. Worked well for me.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it's 200 degrees until internal temp reaches 135 for medium rare. Even better if you can get it into a large dutch oven or use a clay pot around it. And then there are a couple of methods for browning - either before (sear in pan), or after (crank heat up to 500 for a few minutes). I've tried both, both work well but I like the second because I don't have to clean another pan

My rib roast is currently dry aging in the fridge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast