Default More HBB help, plus car seats too...

Here's another post with lots of info, looking for advice...

I have my 6 yo in Diono Radian (per my last thread, he is now using the seat belt positioner, no longer 5-pnt harness), but he can't buckle or unbuckle himself because of the angle of the buckle in the car. Next to him is my 4.5 yo in a Evenflo Maestro in a 5-pnt harness. In the last tiny bit of space next to her (this is the back row in a Sienna 7 pssger) is a Bubblebum for carpooling for my 6 yo's friend.

In the middle row is my 2.5 yo in a True Fit FF and my infant in a Snugride.

So... the questions are:

The 6 yo (Diono Radian)
    1- My 6 yo is having trouble buckling up and unbuckling and it's becoming a bit of an annoyance for the driver (namely me!). Would buying a HBB make it easier for him to buckle on his own?
    2- I was thinking the seat belt positioner may be a bit too high for him. He is of average height (don't remember exactly), but I think the seat belt hits him closer to just below his ear than to his collar bone. Would this be okay, or is this a reason to make a change?
    3- The seat belt doesn't retract at all after unbuckling. Is this a problem? I'm happy enough it saves me time to lock the seat belt when buckling him up- because it's already locked from the last time to the correct place. Is this an issue of safety though?

The 4.5 yo (Maestro)
    1- I originally bought this as a carpool seat, but her seat (TF) expired in the meanwhile and she says she like this seat.

Scenario 1: Buy HBB for 6 yo, give Radian to 4.5 yo and keep Maestro for carpooling. However not sure if I can fit 3 across with ability for kids to buckle up. I'd need a really narrow HBB that he can easily buckle up. Also leaving enough room for the Maestro to be used as a HBB for the 6 yo friend, who would not sit in a 5 pnt harness.

Scenario 2: Buy HBB for 6 yo, give Radian to 4.5 yo and keep Bubblebum for carpooling. This seems like a good idea except for the fact that I also do carpool for my 4.5 year old... The girl who comes in that carpool usually sits in the Radian 5 pnt harness. She is a tiny almost 4 yo. She is just a little bigger than my 2.5 year old! I would not feel comfortable buckling her in a HBB or Bubblebum.

Scenario 3: Any good ones???

Thanks!

I wonder if you could just switch the 4.5 and 6.5 yo's seats and the Maestro is easier to buckle and retracts better?
    Most HBB (and backless, for that matter) have armrests that can be difficult to work around, but the narrowest ones right now are the Maxi Cosi Rodifix (no armrests, big money, but worth it if it works) and Harmony Dreamtime (Target, on clearance, so look fast, about $30), and possibly Evenflo AMP, it's got higher armrests that are easier to dig under to buckle, but it depends if it fits next to the Maestro or Radian.

Ummm...did that help? Throw more details at me if I'm missing something, I've eaten nothing but beignets today and my brain is mush!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    I wonder if you could just switch the 4.5 and 6.5 yo's seats and the Maestro is easier to buckle and retracts better?
    Most HBB (and backless, for that matter) have armrests that can be difficult to work around, but the narrowest ones right now are the Maxi Cosi Rodifix (no armrests, big money, but worth it if it works) and Harmony Dreamtime (Target, on clearance, so look fast, about $30), and possibly Evenflo AMP, it's got higher armrests that are easier to dig under to buckle, but it depends if it fits next to the Maestro or Radian.

Ummm...did that help? Throw more details at me if I'm missing something, I've eaten nothing but beignets today and my brain is mush!
    That is such a simple solution, I'm embarrassed I didn't even think of it! Thanks!! I'm gonna try my 6 yo in the Maestro when he gets home from school. I checked at my local Target if the Harmony is on Clearance, it seems its regular price at $40, which is really fine anyway. I'll compare Evenflo Amp and Harmony's dimensions and if they are needed go with one of those two.

Thank you so much! :-)

My 6 yo fits nicely in the Maestro, just need to uninstall both and switch around to see of buckling is an issue. If it is and I need to buy a HBB, Which is narrower the Harmony or Amp? The Amp seems like its 11" wide @ the seat which seems much narrower than the Harmony's 18". Maybe I'm looking at the wrong info?

11" inside the seat where the butt fits, it's more like 18 on the outside. Really tough call, an inch or two on the outside might mean nothing, unfortunately, they have to be tried to see (The Turbo is like 16, but it's so boxy it's literally the hardest seat to buckle next to another seat!).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks! I actually just picked up a Harmony dreamtime from Target clearance for $20 Not sure I'm going to use it right away- still going to try to swap the carseats- but for a spare it's great!