Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default S/o: what are you doing to prepare your kids for college?

So the other thread got me thinking about how well my kids will be prepared to "compete" for a space at whatever college they want to attend. Are you doing anything extra now (in elementary and middle school) to make sure your child is attractive to the college they ultimately choose to attend? I'd like my kids to be able to go to whatever school they decide is best for them. Am I the only one thinking about this? The other thread makes me concerned that we as parents are totally unprepared for how hard it will be for out kids to get into school. Maybe I'm overreacting?

eta: I don't plan to send my kids to Ivy but it sounds like many universities are now much harder to get into and takes a bit more planning.

Also so want to clarify that I didn't intend this thread to be a competition and I don't intend to push my kids to the point of suicide. But I'm planning financially for college, why not plan in other ways too? Just wanted to see what other parents were doing. Or not.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-26-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

My kids are 8 and 11 and I plan on hiring a college counselor when they get to HS. They already do community service and have their hobbies/sports. That being said, I am not planning on them going ivy.

Beyond cultivating a strong work ethic and giving them the opportunity to explore extracurricular activities they love (music, sports, drama) - absolutely nothing. I want my kids to be well rounded and hardworking. I am confident that they will be successful, and will have no problem getting into college.
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 01-26-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/o: what are you doing to prepare your kids for college?

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Beyond cultivating a strong work ethic and giving them the opportunity to explore extra curricular activities they love (music, sports, drama) - absolutely nothing. I want my kids to be well rounded and hardworking. I am confident that they will be successful, and will have no problem getting into college.
    I honestly haven't given it that much thought. My 8/1/2 yr. old (3rd grade) is just starting to think about high school, which I think is silly (and I have told her that )but she idolizes her teacher who went to the all girls Catholic high school up the street from our house, and her best friend's sister is in the 8th grade and in the process of looking at high schools as well so I think that is why it is even on her radar. Like I said in the other posts I have no idea what type of college my kids will want to go and #1 is that I want them to study what they want to study, I want them to be happy doing it and I want them to chose a field they think they will be successful at.

My aunt and uncle did hire a college selection advisor for my 17 yr. old cousin this past fall because my aunt thought an independent person was good because it would be easier for him to have a non parent sounding board in that process.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-26-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Beyond cultivating a strong work ethic and giving them the opportunity to explore extracurricular activities they love (music, sports, drama) - absolutely nothing. I want my kids to be well rounded and hardworking. I am confident that they will be successful, and will have no problem getting into college.
    This. My job, as I see it, is to raise my kids to lead happy, productive lives. So I try to help them develop good work habits and a strong sense of ethics, and I support whatever interests they want to pursue. It's their job is to get into college and figure out what careers will make them happy and self-sufficient.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

I should add: we live in an excellent school district that offers incredible academic and extracurricular activities. The high school my kids will attend is usually ranked as one of the top five in the state. If that were not the case, I would be working hard to make sure my kids had access to awesome music programs, better academics, etc. I want my kids to be challenged and excited by school. I want them to be able to try the sports and languages and arts programs that interest them. We made a conscious choice to move to a large, successful public school district that offers these kinds of activities.
    Green Tea, mom to three

We have been supportive of his interests and encourage him to pursue activities. He plays several instruments and loves being in band. He is also on his middle school's battle of the books team. He loves the competition. M volunteers at the media center at school and is on his way to earning his black belt in TKD. We are lucky to live near three major universities and he has participated in programs at all three as well as a summer music program at another in a neighboring county. He is not over scheduled and still has time to play hockey in the cul-de-sac and Minecraft with the kids in the neighborhood.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are considering sending the kids overseas for college where extracurriculars don't matter.

I should add that I fully support my child saying he wants a technical training instead.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-140-...job-1420659586

My kid needs to own his degree. They will have to work to save towards it so that they have a sense of ownership. We are planning on going the college counselor route because I have not heard one person regret using one. They work with the kids to keep them organize, discuss different schools, studying strategies and help them apply for scholarships. It beats us hounding them and is like therapy.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think your question is very reasonable! I'm glad you asked it. My oldest is in 5th grade. It isn't necessarily time to start thinking about college....but at the same time I need to think through my feelings towards college attendance and the message that I'm sending to my kids. I need to determine what I really want for them. In some ways, it isn't so much about doors I want to open but about what doors I want to make sure I don't close?? Does that make sense? I believe in following my kids' passions but I also think parents are pretty good about providing opportunities and guidance on roads less traveled. I haven't figured all this stuff out yet!

My overarching thought these days is that I need to help my kids figure out who they are and what they can contribute and then figure out a plan to keep as many doors open as possible. I noticed in the other thread that some posters mentioned that they or a sibling was admitted to a premiere institution and it wasn't a fit. It would be much harder to go the other way!

I know myself, pressuring my kids to get into Harvard just isn't going to happen at my house. Instead I need to examine if my "laidback" attitude is impeding them from establishing the life that would be best for them. One of my children needs low pressure, needs down time, is brilliant but will need a career that doesn't carry too much stress. Another one of my kids rises to the occasion with every challenge I throw at him. I worry about not tapping into all of his potential. I see him really grow and thrive with challenge. Both kids have needs and they are very different! I haven't figured out DS3 (he's 3) let alone DD (only 1yo) yet, lol!

So I like the discussion. Please carry on!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast