Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
I see it as I am not grooming a hopeful entrant to an elite college, I am raising a child. I am not going to push my child to play an instrument/sport that they don't want simply because it *might* help them get into some college that isn't even on their radar right now. Signing them up for clubs and activities before high school simply for hopes of increasing their likelihood of college entrance? Seems like that is more for me than for my child. If good grades, a few activities and being a solid, well-rounded person doesn't get my child into a college, then that college doesn't deserve them. My kids will get into college. They will get jobs. Hopefully they will have some financial success and have a family and be happy. I don't think 12 years of me planning their application and/or a big name college will guarantee that or that a state school will ruin their chances for that. Life is more than money and prestige and names and many, many people live full lives without them.

So, for me, I am doing nothing extra. I let my kids find their passions and encourage them, but not for collegiate reasons. I do encourage good grades, as that will do more for them in life and for college than anything else. If they don't go to ivy or big name, I'm fine with that (actually not expecting or encouraging it). Really hoping they go to my college, which is competitive and highly rated, yet not cutthroat in admissions (or tuition!).
^^^ I'll just say "ditto". :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk