Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Universal Orlando--HP World Questions

DH has a conference in Orlando in early June and we decided to pull the kids out of school for a few days to join him. His conference is at an ‘on property’ hotel for Universal and we are all superfans of Harry Potter, so thought it’d be the perfect opportunity to go to HP World at Universal. So, now I’m starting to research it and have a lot of questions!

We are taking a red-eye on Tuesday night and will get to Orlando at 6am on Wednesday. DH and the kids both (surprisingly) can sleep on planes and think that we should start the parks on Wednesday. His conference starts Thursday night, and this way, DH could go with us for two days. I am still vacillating between getting 3 or 4 day passes. The fourth day only costs about $20 more, so it seems worth it, but I’m not sure we’d need that many days there. How does Universal compare in size to Disneyland? Is it smaller, like Legoland (SD) or Knott’s or quite large? With the 3 day pass, they’d have an entire day to enjoy the pools and water slides at the resort, plus we are also getting tickets to see Blue Man Group Saturday night. Does it make more sense to go Wed/Thurs/Fri? Or Thurs/Fri/Sat? Or Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat? It’s unlikely we’d be able to get to the hotel and into the park after the airport until 9:30ish (I think, have no idea how far the airport is from the park), so we’d lose that precious time in the morning, before the big crowds. But, I worry that it could get crazy on a June Saturday, so my gut says to avoid it, and start on Wednesday (even though I’d be exhausted). Thoughts? We fly home Sunday afternoon.

If it makes a difference, since we are on property, we will get to go an hour earlier than the regular opening time and get the Express Passes for non-HP rides. Also, as I understand it, we need to get park hopper tickets to be allowed to take the Hogwarts Express—is that right? A friend suggested taking a fanny pack, since backpacks are not allowed on most rides and you’d have to waste time to check it in. Do they allow you to bring any snacks into the park at all? Thoughts on fanny pack vs. backpack? Any other tips for a newbie?

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think if I were you I would go for the 4 day passes. I rather spend part of days at the pool then try and cram in 3 park days and just 1 pool day. That way you could maybe do a little with your DH on Wed after resting/pool time. I think 3 or 4 days is plenty for Universal, although I am not sure of the crowds at that time of year. We were the last week of Aug and crowds were pretty low, except for HP. There is an app you can download with wait times to give you an idea. We really enjoyed the parks, but very different from WDW.

I did the fanny pack so I didn't have to worry about a back pack.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just following along bc HP is on our to do list soon. Re. bags- are you able to do a cross body purse? There are good recommendations for them from past discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Just following along bc HP is on our to do list soon. Re. bags- are you able to do a cross body purse? There are good recommendations for them from past discussions.
    That's a good question, I don't know. But, buying a lightweight cross body purse has been on my radar for a very long time, so now might be a good time to ramp up the search. I'd definitely prefer it to wearing a fanny pack!

saleenl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We are going in 2 1/2 weeks and are staying on property with HP our #1 reason for going. PM me the first week of March and I'll share my experience.
    Boober (10/05) and JuJuBe (5/09)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

From what I've read, there are some ride that nothing except prescription eyeglasses are allowed on. Not even a cell phone in a pocket. They have lockers for free to use though. but for other rides, you need a fanny pack with a 3 prong clasp, not a purse.

Here is a thread on Disboards about it: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3371486
    Kris

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've been to HP twice. A couple years ago when they first opened and then again last summer when they opened the new part. It was my mom and I and my 3 boys and we were able to do all of islands of adventure and half of universal in one full day and then we did the newest hp ride first thing with early admission the next day and anything we missed or wanted to do again. We were back to the hotel (on property) in time to go out to dinner at 6p. Kids were 11/9/7y and grandma is 70...we didn't rush but didn't have a slow pace and we saw EVERYTHING and rode several things twice.

I had to locker my purse very small and out of the way (can sit fully back in my seat with it on) on three rides. If you see lockers put your stuff in there, if not they'll yank you halfway out of line to do so. Luckily I had my mom so they could wait in line while I did that, if not not sure if you'd lose your spot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

Quote Originally Posted by saleenl View Post
    We are going in 2 1/2 weeks and are staying on property with HP our #1 reason for going. PM me the first week of March and I'll share my experience.
    Thank you--I'll PM you after your trip!! Have an amazing time!

Oh, okay--good to know about the no purse rule. Thanks, KrisM!!

Quote Originally Posted by kboyle View Post
    I've been to HP twice. A couple years ago when they first opened and then again last summer when they opened the new part. It was my mom and I and my 3 boys and we were able to do all of islands of adventure and half of universal in one full day and then we did the newest hp ride first thing with early admission the next day and anything we missed or wanted to do again. We were back to the hotel (on property) in time to go out to dinner at 6p. Kids were 11/9/7y and grandma is 70...we didn't rush but didn't have a slow pace and we saw EVERYTHING and rode several things twice.

I had to locker my purse very small and out of the way (can sit fully back in my seat with it on) on three rides. If you see lockers put your stuff in there, if not they'll yank you halfway out of line to do so. Luckily I had my mom so they could wait in line while I did that, if not not sure if you'd lose your spot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is really good to know, thank you! Do you remember if you were there on weekdays or the weekend? Which month? Sounds like 3 days might be enough, then, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast