Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the importance of staging is very dependent on how competitive your market is. We sold a house recently in a high inventory market, very competitive, tons of new construction as competition. Staging and removing of toys and clutter was very important. We bought in a low inventory market. There just wasn't much to choose from. We looked for general cleanliness and condition, but honestly after that we were just thrilled to find our home! If it's a low inventory market, people are going to care a lot less about those things.

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you so much to everyone for the great replies! DH is more of the mindset that little things won't sell the house and isn't as motivated as I am to extremely declutter. He's been great about tackling more obvious projects but I think he's tuned me out a few times about pieces of furniture I plan to put into storage when it comes time if we list our house. I don't know that staging will help us sell for more $, but anything I can do to stack the deck for a quicker sale is worth it to me with little kids in the house.

We are repainting our first floor and upstairs hallway now to a refreshed neutral color. We've been here several years and it's time for a little update. Although with little ones running around, I'm floundering a little bit how to get everything done that I want to do in a short amount of time!

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just bumping with one more question added!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it wouldn't look crowded w the loveseat then I'd keep it.

I agree with your MIL. One of the things I was looking for in a new home was a separate formal living room and family room. I'm okay with toys overrunning my family room (not for showing, of course), but I want a grown-up space that can stay clean and uncluttered where I can bring impromptu guests or sit myself. Having that extra living room is a selling feature. If you have another sofa in there, you could replace the lives eat with the piano, but if putting the piano in would make it a music room and not a living room, I wouldn't do it, especially since it's one of the first rooms buyers will see.

I agree that some people are going to be looking for a living room. I probably wouldn't move the piano unless you have a good reason. However, I would think that most people can envision using the room that way regardless of what you have in it. Lots of people use an extra bedroom as an office, gym, den etc, and I don't really have any trouble imagining it as something else during viewing.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree if it wouldn't look crowded I'd leave the loveseat with the piano. I didn't answer your first thread, but I meant to! We bought last fall and what sold us on our house was it was so freaking clean. The paint was fresh and perfect (we only repainted 2 rooms, and only one of those really needed it) They also minimized photos and clutter. I still like to go on zillow and look at the photos!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3