Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Here's some info:

All adults who have never had chickenpox or received the vaccination should be vaccinated against it. Two doses of the vaccine should be given at least four weeks apart.

If you've never had chickenpox or been vaccinated and you are exposed to chickenpox, being vaccinated right away will greatly reduce your risk of getting sick. Studies have shown that vaccination within three days of exposure is 90% effective at preventing illness; vaccination within five days of exposure is 70% effective. If you do get sick, the symptoms will be milder and shorter in duration.

Who shouldn’t get the chickenpox vaccine?
    You should not be vaccinated against chickenpox if you:

Are moderately to severely ill at the time of vaccination
    Are pregnant (women should not become pregnant for one month after receiving the chickenpox vaccine)
    Have ever had an allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin, or a previous dose of chickenpox vaccine

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/chicke...nes-for-adults
    Interesting. Does anyone know if the antibiotic neomycin is in Tdap, flu vaccine, or tetanus (which I've safely received)? I have no idea if I'm allergic to neomycin, but I'm a bit nervous I could be given my many antibiotic allergies. I've learned it's best for me not to google.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have had two separate courses of the varicella vaccine before getting pregnant with each of my kids. I had my titers drawn at OB office, no antibodies against CP, which I hadn't had as a kid. I got the vax and booster - single component vaccine. Then almost 4 years later, when planning to conceive baby 2, new OB has me draw titers again - no CP antibodies. I got the vax and booster again. I sure hope I am immunized - I do NOT want to get the pox! It is just baaad news as an adult. I experienced no side effects of the vaccines.

for Sandy Hook

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    Don't have any advice about the vaccine, but you really, really don't want to get chicken pox as an adult! .
    Definitely! A family member got chicken pox her second week of college halfway across the country from home, where she knew no one. She was fairly sick, and still has lots of "pockmark" scars on her face, 25 years later. Not fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a big debate going in my family as to whether I had the pox or not...my brother had it when I was very young and I was sent off to the grandparents. Then my bff had it, and she had slept over the night before. My mom always claimed she had seen a couple pox on me and that I had it. I was tested when pregnant with DS, and lo and behold, no immunity. I got the 2 shots soon after he was born. I was tested again when pregnant with DD and am ok now. IME the shots were not a big deal. I actually had them done at the ped's when my son was getting his vaccines

Ok thanks, so it sounds like I would first get the actual vaccine and then get the booster - correct? I was confused because my doctor's office said I would get the "booster." I want to make sure I get the right shot.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No they are 2 shots same you need the 2nd vaccine in the series.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    No they are 2 shots same you need the 2nd vaccine in the series.
    Why would I need the 2nd shot? I haven't had any shots for chickenpox yet.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Why would I need the 2nd shot? I haven't had any shots for chickenpox yet.
    sorry I misread. I thought you had one and were going for the 2nd. You just need to call and say you are not immune to Chicken pox and need the varicella vaccine. You will then go back and get a 2nd vaccine I think they need to be at least 4 weeks a part
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it might just be semantics. They call it a booster for adults, but it's still a stand-alone vaccine, not a supplement to an earlier one.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    sorry I misread. I thought you had one and were going for the 2nd. You just need to call and say you are not immune to Chicken pox and need the varicella vaccine. You will then go back and get a 2nd vaccine I think they need to be at least 4 weeks a part
    Gotcha thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast