lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default salt lake city peeps

We are spending spring break doing the National Parks in Utah with my parents. We are flying back east from SLC airport at the end and they are catching the Amtrak from SLC station to Chicago. Its something they've always wanted to do, they are coming over from the UK for the trip. The problem is that their train goes at 3:30am and we need to drop them and we cant stay with them right up til it goes. Im wondering how safe the train station area is at that time of day to hang about, or is there somewhere better and would they easily be able to get a taxi. They are fairly savvy and well travelled but nearly 80 and it is a foreign country.
    Lucy DD3/03

That is not a good area to be hanging out in at 3:30 am. Could they get a hotel for the night? Say you drop them at 8 or 9 pm, they take a nap and then go to the station. They would need to call the cab company and make an appointment so they are sure to have a cab at that hour.

Also--if you need more info on vacation planning, check out the travel forums on Fodors--www.fodors.com--you can search by state and see what queries other people have posted, trip reports etc. You can also search "Zion kids" and see posts on traveling there with kids. Let me know if you do want that kind of info--I have at least 2 trip reports on there for Bryce and Zion, plus another for Capital Reef etc etc. We are big parks people!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Nope. I wouldn't want to hang out near the station at noon! There's a Homewood Suites not far from the station. I'd check them in there. The hotel might have a 24 hours shuttle. If not, a cab would work well.

423 W 300 S
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101 Phone number (801) 363-6700