TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any experience with allergic shiners in babies?

I think that DD2 has allergic shiners (dark circles under her eyes caused by allergies). In fact, the physician we saw as part of the sleep evaluation we had for DD2 pointed them out (our regular ped has never mentioned anything though). The ENT that DH, I, and DD1 all see had told us when he first saw DD1 as a toddler that environmental allergies rarely develop before the age of 4. I'm starting to wonder though...DD1 doesn't has not had any glaring allergic reactions such as hives or anaphylaxis, but she does always have red cheeks and rough skin on her legs (eczema, maybe?) and we are currently testing out a possible milk sensitivity (in that, we are stopping whole cow milk for a while and using Lactaid milk or formula). Any BTDT with allergic shiners in babies? DD1 is 13 months. When I call then ENT/allergist, what specifically should I mention or ask them about?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Dairy allergy can cause those. Just stopping whole milk isn't enough though. You'll want to eliminate all the trace stuff too. A blood test would show an allergy, but I don't think they're effective under a certain age? 18 mos maybe?

ETA: Lactaid is for lactose intolerance. A dairy allergy would be to the milk proteins, and Lactaid still has those. Formula does too, unless you use soy or corn based. Soy sensitivity/allergy is common too, especially in people with dairy allergies... I'd eliminate everything for 4-6 weeks. It takes a while to get dairy totally out of the system. In a 13 month old, if that worked, I would wait to re-introduce dairy for a year. Give non-dairy probiotics and let her gut heal. She may be able to handle it just fine later when her system heals and is more mature.
    Last edited by BunnyBee; 01-31-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Hmm. Originally I didn’t think it was milk allergy, but rather sensitivity/lactose intolerance because she was fine until we introduced whole milk about 6 weeks ago. Although she had the shiners and scaly patches on her skin long before that. Otherwise, though, she did not have any problems when nursing (I ate dairy although not a ton) and when on formula (although it was the sensitive formula). She also ate cheese and other foods containing dairy without an issue. As soon as we started whole milk, her poops became much looser and mushy and she had yeast diaper rashes off and on. Then she started throwing up randomly. She would be fine for a few days, and then throw up, and then fine again, and so on. Along with the ped, we though it had something to do with the amount of milk consumed. She has been getting Lactaid milk or formula all weekend and her poops are no longer loose and she is back to her happy self. However, the more I read about milk allergies, the more I think she might have a mild form of the allergy. DH is going to call the ENT/allergist today and ask his opinion, and find out if any tests would be reliable in a toddler.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Hmm. Originally I didn’t think it was milk allergy, but rather sensitivity/lactose intolerance because she was fine until we introduced whole milk about 6 weeks ago. Although she had the shiners and scaly patches on her skin long before that. Otherwise, though, she did not have any problems when nursing (I ate dairy although not a ton)
    I think these symptoms are more indicative of a milk allergy than a lactose sensitivity. For me, lactose sensitivity is gas and loose stools. Eczema & shiners are allergies. For us, throwing up was a sure sign of allergy as well.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Any experience with allergic shiners in babies?

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I think these symptoms are more indicative of a milk allergy than a lactose sensitivity. For me, lactose sensitivity is gas and loose stools. Eczema & shiners are allergies. For us, throwing up was a sure sign of allergy as well.
    I would think some kind of lactose intolerance as well, although some people don't believe it exists in non adults because the symptoms are very similar to what u have dealt with with DD2. She often had breast milk like poo that stank until we started her on lactose free whole milk at 18 months old. She spit up like crazy until she was 9 months old (when we switched to Playtex drop in bottles), but we still continued the Similac Sensitive until
    a year old, and Zantac until 15 months. FWIW I had gone dairy free for 3-4 weeks while nursing her from 3 days old until her 1 month appt., and the spit up and gassiness continued so the ped. said it probably wasn't a dairy allergy. At 18 months DD2 had rotavirus and we decided to switch to lactose free milk before trying an elimination diet of wheat and all dairy. The stinky poo and semi loose stools finally went away. She didn't have any skin issues. She has never complained of pain while eating cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese, but regular milk has always been a source of stomach pain.

However my DD1 who has had bouts of eczema since the age of 5, was allergic to A&D diaper cream as a baby, had persistent diaper rash, and was allergic to the material of Pampers Cruisers (pre dry max, this was in 2007) has never had an issue with allergies at all and has never complained of pain while eating.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    It sounds like more than just lactose. We did blood tests for Ds3 at 9 months old so its possible to test very young.

That said, Ds3 tests negative to milk but clearly reacted to dairy with a red, scaly rash like eczema and had to be dairy free for his first 18 months. Then we slowly added dairy foods (yogurt, cheese) and last he tolerated milk closer to 2.5 years old. To me, it sounds like she can tolerate limited amounts of dairy but the milk probably sent her over the edge with protein. With vomiting included, I'd be very careful.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We went ahead and scheduled DD2 for scratch testing, although we have to wait because she is still on and for an ear infection. The more I read about milk allergies, the more she seems to fit the profile of a mild case. Now I wonder if all of her sleep issues are also related to a possibly milk allergy. I suppose I could be reading into thing too though. She is doing much better on Lactaid milk so...I don't know. A mix of things maybe. Sorry, tired mama here rambling.