firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help me pick paint for 3 rooms!

We are repainting our hallways and found a great painter who charges by the day. So, he will have some "extra" time for his last day of work and I need help picking out colors for three rooms. Whatever he can get done in that last day, great. What doesn't get done DH and I will do.

To give you an idea about colors already in the house, our main floor hallway and upstairs hallway is going to be BM Edgecomb Gray. We just repainted the family room this color and LOVE it. Dining room is BM Raspberry Truffle (deep red) above with white shadowbox molding below. Living room is BM Cork. Powder bath is Revere Pewter and kitchen is Eucalyptus Leaf but there isn't much of it bc it's only above the cabinets. Office is a spa blue color. All first floor is gunstock hardwood. It sounds like a LOT of different colors, but area rugs tie all the colors together.

The three rooms I need help picking colors for are upstairs so Edgecomb Gray in the hallway, with our bedroom and one DC's room Concord Ivory. Other DC's room is BM Dried Celery. These colors are staying.

I need to decide on a paint color for upstairs full bath for the kids. They recently got this shower curtain: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-om...ot=medium_1_11 I was thinking of SW Silver Strand or BM Revere Pewter but is that too much gray around the house? I also thought about BM Sea Glass. Thoughts?

The second room is oldest DC. He just got this quilt: http://www.pbteen.com/products/burto..._-NoMerchRules

It is currently painted BM Downpour Blue and he has red painted furniture. We are thinking of doing a DIY pallet board headboard for him but leaving his red dresser and armoire in the room. He really likes the idea of Wythe Blue accent wall on his headboard wall with Revere Pewter for the rest of the room. But, we might be selling the house this spring, so should we avoid doing an accent wall? Is doing Revere Pewter in another room giving it a nice flow or making the house too gray?

Third room is laundry room which is on the bedroom level. Nothing exciting. One wire shelf over the washer and dryer and that's it. One full size window and white vinyl floor with light taupe lines on it that look like tile. So, based on colors mentioned here, what color would you paint this room?

I've thought about just leaving the hall bath and laundry room unpainted but two realtors that walked through felt they stood out because the other rooms are painted. So, I don't want to do anything crazy, but want to give it a cohesive look.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So a lot of this is personal preference, but that's a lot of different colors. For connecting spaces and utilitarian spaces (laundry room, hall bath) I would stick to one basic color, like Revere Pewter, and carry it through.

For the kids bath, I can't find BM Silver Strand? We have SW Monorail Silver and that's a nice color that would go with the blue. We have BM Beach Glass, which is very similar to the Sea Glass, and I would be concerned that the blues would not match.

In your DS's room, there is already a lot of color with the quilt and the red furniture. I assume he has wall decor as well. I would do all one color. I think Wythe Blue would be nice or a gray. You could do something like BM Smoke Embers and it would look very nice. We have that in our master and it looks good with tans and blues. The Revere Pewter would be nice, but if you wanted something different I think that's fine in a bedroom.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    So a lot of this is personal preference, but that's a lot of different colors. For connecting spaces and utilitarian spaces (laundry room, hall bath) I would stick to one basic color, like Revere Pewter, and carry it through.

For the kids bath, I can't find BM Silver Strand? We have SW Monorail Silver and that's a nice color that would go with the blue. We have BM Beach Glass, which is very similar to the Sea Glass, and I would be concerned that the blues would not match.

In your DS's room, there is already a lot of color with the quilt and the red furniture. I assume he has wall decor as well. I would do all one color. I think Wythe Blue would be nice or a gray. You could do something like BM Smoke Embers and it would look very nice. We have that in our master and it looks good with tans and blues. The Revere Pewter would be nice, but if you wanted something different I think that's fine in a bedroom.
    I agree with the one color approach.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

As an idea, I recently made a paint color palette schematic for our house: http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/0...color-palette/

We painted part of the house when we moved in 2 years ago, and I now want to paint the rest of the house. Making the color schematic helped me map out in my head where I had too much color or not enough color.

Since you are planning to move soon, I would go more neutral and more cohesive than you otherwise might prefer. When we put our old house on the market, it desperately needed to be painted. Our realtor suggested we do one neutral throughout the whole house. I have to admit that I thought it would be dull, but it actually looked really nice.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

If your goals are to be cohesive and sellable then I'd just pick one of the colors you're already using (edgecomb or revere). It's easier and cheaper not to use a different color in every room anyway. I wouldn't do a blue wall or room with the red bedroom furniture. The next owners may want it for a girl's room and prefer something other than light blue anyway (we had a pepto pink bedroom in this house when we bought it).
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is a lot of colors. I would pick one color as well for more cohesiveness - probably Revere Pewter. FWIW, we have 2 wall paint colors in our entire house, and they are similar gray shades.

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thanks all! Decision made - we will do Revere Pewter for the laundry, Ds's room and hall bath. Love that color and it will work for all three spaces.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good decision! We have Revere Pewter in our living/dining room, kitchen, and hall and if we end up selling our house I would probably just paint the whole house in it and call it a day!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)