Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I'm picturing something less formal, more CA boho. When you say not too long, does that mean you don't want to do a maxi dress, or just a longer formal dress? Are you open to something fashion forward like a jumpsuit with cool jewelry?
    I was thinking the ModCloth dock date dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...942&gate=false
    With beach tossled or wavy hair, gold chandelier earrings and hold strappy heels would be fun but probably too summery. I ran out of time to look at other dresses. I don't think OP is opposed to long, at least I don't remember seeing that.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    It's a teen movie, so I was advised not long/formal. !
    This part of her OP was why I wasn't sure if she didn't want long in general, or just long and formal.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This part of her OP was why I wasn't sure if she didn't want long in general, or just long and formal.
    D'oh. . I'm going to go w interpreting it as no ball gown.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would wear something that you would wear out to a fancy dinner with your husband at a place with hard to get reservations.
    So for some that would be heels, very nice pants and blouse with fancy jewelry. Some may even wear jeans, blazer, fancy jewelry.
    I would probably wear an LBD (can't go wrong with that IMO), and heels.

ETA: Here is a picture of some friends of mine who are "regular people" who attended a movie premiere a few years ago. They were actually in the movie but are not movie stars. They played themselves basically, as softball players. I think the problem for going to events like this is that you don't know what the "regular people" wear.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...%3B1500%3B1000

Just want to also add, I would NOT wear a ball gown!
    Last edited by elektra; 02-02-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    DD
    DS

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend of mine in LA works in the film industry and sometimes posts pics of herself/friends at movie premieres or other similar events.

She always seems to wear something cute and funky. Like a miniskirt with short boots, opaque tights, and drapey top. Or dark dressy skinny pants with heels, funky blouse, cardigan or scarf layered over it. With a statement accessory. Or funky combo like leggings and tunic topped with a blazer. So if you don't feel comfy in a dress, I wouldn't worry too much about it having to be a dress.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-02-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    D'oh. . I'm going to go w interpreting it as no ball gown.
    Right, not a long formal gown That was the only direction I was given, that ppl don't do super formal (anymore?). Also the after party is at Dave & Buster's so a ball gown would be totally bizarre in that context!

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    I would wear something that you would wear out to a fancy dinner with your husband at a place with hard to get reservations.
    So for some that would be heels, very nice pants and blouse with fancy jewelry. Some may even wear jeans, blazer, fancy jewelry.
    I would probably wear an LBD (can't go wrong with that IMO), and heels.

ETA: Here is a picture of some friends of mine who are "regular people" who attended a movie premiere a few years ago. They were actually in the movie but are not movie stars. They played themselves basically, as softball players. I think the problem for going to events like this is that you don't know what the "regular people" wear.

Just want to also add, I would NOT wear a ball gown!
    Thanks for this! You summed it up well in that I wasn't sure what the regular ppl wear or how they look. My SIL was sending me pics of 20-something celebs walking the red carpet--not helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Mine are on the dressy side bc I always look for a chance to dress up.
    Just some ideas. Happy to help look more if you see something kind of it above.
    Oh my gosh, I LOVE all the Mod Cloth dresses! I've never looked at dresses there before! This is going to be a tough decision...

Elektra, I think you get the award for most helpful link in a long time! Your "regular people" friends are dressed exactly the way I was thinking in my head, but couldn't articulate.

OP, I went to one premiere many moons ago. I wore a short, silk print party dress. I really suited my body type (or, my body type at the time...big boobs, small waist) I think that's the key. Pick out something fun, fashionable, that fits your stage in life/body. I wouldn't wear that dress now, because the British phrase "mutton dressed as lamb" would ring in my head.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2