Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Preparing for an overseas flight with a stopover...help

We are taking a family trip overseas soon. It will be DH and I and our two kids- DD age 6 and DS age 1. We have a 9 hour flight, then a 1 hour and 40 min stopover, and then a 4 hour flight. Here are my two main concerns-
    1) Keeping DS entertained. He's at that hard age when they want to move and don't understand why they can't. Plus he can't really be entertained for too long. Any ideas? Any of you give your kids Benadryl to help them sleep? I'm not a huge fan of this, and obviously I would test t first to make sure he has the sleepy reaction and not the hyper reaction, but I'm wondering if this is something to consider?

2) I'm very nervous about the stopover being so short in an unfamiliar airport. I can think of so many scenarios in which we miss our second leg of the flight but I'm trying to think positive and prepare. So one issue that has come up is that our stroller will be checked and we will need a way to get DS from one gate to another. DS does not walk yet and is HEAVY. He must weight about 23-25lbs at this point but he's solid and just very hard to hold for more than 5 min. Running from one gate to another while holding him is not a good idea at all. Should I be looking into a carrier? I really don't want to spend a lot of $ on something that will be used once. SIL has the classic Bjorn- would that work?

I know once we are at our destination it will be great, but the logistics of actually getting there can be stressful!

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

a 1 hr and 40 minutes stopover isn't short. Which airport is it? Some airports have play areas for kids. We usually change clothes during the stopover and then head for the play area or grab a bite at a restaurant before heading to the next gate.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    We are taking a family trip overseas soon. It will be DH and I and our two kids- DD age 6 and DS age 1. We have a 9 hour flight, then a 1 hour and 40 min stopover, and then a 4 hour flight. Here are my two main concerns-
    1) Keeping DS entertained. He's at that hard age when they want to move and don't understand why they can't. Plus he can't really be entertained for too long. Any ideas? Any of you give your kids Benadryl to help them sleep? I'm not a huge fan of this, and obviously I would test t first to make sure he has the sleepy reaction and not the hyper reaction, but I'm wondering if this is something to consider?

2) I'm very nervous about the stopover being so short in an unfamiliar airport. I can think of so many scenarios in which we miss our second leg of the flight but I'm trying to think positive and prepare. So one issue that has come up is that our stroller will be checked and we will need a way to get DS from one gate to another. DS does not walk yet and is HEAVY. He must weight about 23-25lbs at this point but he's solid and just very hard to hold for more than 5 min. Running from one gate to another while holding him is not a good idea at all. Should I be looking into a carrier? I really don't want to spend a lot of $ on something that will be used once. SIL has the classic Bjorn- would that work?

I know once we are at our destination it will be great, but the logistics of actually getting there can be stressful!

Thanks for your help.

I have never flown internationally with kids, but my suggestion would be to get a ride on one of those golf cart like things to transport your family.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

depends on the airport and if you have to clear customs. Bad would be Paris if you are say flying to south of France. Failing that 1 hr 40 mins should be fine. You could bring a carrier but think I'd just suck it up and have backpacks and if there is a cart there that'd be great. Keeping a 1 year old busy and happy can be a challenge. Bring lots of snacks. I used to bring a vitamin container (day of the week thing) and fill it with cheerios and the like. Oddly DSs both liked wax paper at that time also tearing up paper / magazines. Bring something for them both to suck on/drink on take off and landing. Possibly a new lift the flap book could keep your little one busy
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Thanks everyone. Our stopover is in Russia at SVO which is apparently a modern and nice airport. We do not have to go through customs. There is enough time if the first flight is perfectly on time. But if we sit on the runway for an extra half hour, or if the flight is a little delayed...then its cutting it close especially since we are in an unfamiliar airport and don't speak the language.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Depends on the airport/airline
    If you're transiting in Asia or one of the usual transit places to Asia (UAE, Turkey, Qatar etc), they have strollers for kids as soon as you get out of the airplane that you plunk your kids in and take to the next gate. My kids used to like to ride those just for fun up until they were 7 or so.
    If its Europe, you're out of luck. Grab a $20 foldable stroller from Target and take it with you because you will need it! If you're taking car seat on the plane, and your DS is still in the smaller car seats that have drag along frames, I would take those with me, I've seen some parents doing that
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Preparing for an overseas flight with a stopover...help

I am not going to sugarcoat. Traveling internationally with a 1 year old sucks. For us, I repeatedly told myself that it is just one day and it will soon be over. We walked the plane a lot when DD1 was 13 months. We ignored the flight attendants and so long as there was no turbulence we walked. I would let your DS crawl. Bring wipes. Bring lots of snacks. I like small containers of blueberries, savory snacks, etc. As far a carrier, a bjorn will not work. He is too big. You need a carrier you can use on your back. It is worth it. It is needed for walking through airport and waiting at customs.

DD1 also had blow outs on international flights. Often more than 1.

ETA: we also used the gogokidz for the car seat. I put the backpack in the car seat and put Kid on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    Depends on the airport/airline
    If you're transiting in Asia or one of the usual transit places to Asia (UAE, Turkey, Qatar etc), they have strollers for kids as soon as you get out of the airplane that you plunk your kids in and take to the next gate. My kids used to like to ride those just for fun up until they were 7 or so.
    If its Europe, you're out of luck. Grab a $20 foldable stroller from Target and take it with you because you will need it! If you're taking car seat on the plane, and your DS is still in the smaller car seats that have drag along frames, I would take those with me, I've seen some parents doing that
    Oh an airport stroller would have been so convenient. You think a cheap umbrella stroller makes more sense than Baby Bjorrn? Will they even let me take an umbrella stroller onto the plane?
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Oh an airport stroller would have been so convenient. You think a cheap umbrella stroller makes more sense than Baby Bjorrn? Will they even let me take an umbrella stroller onto the plane?
    They probably won't let you. I have only been allowed once on international flights.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

fwiw I have put a quinny zapp into a small duffle as a carry on (for London)
    a car seat with a 1 year old is a life saver
    the plane change is really out of your control so try not to worry much about it
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast