Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default School options- wwyd?

My children are in a not so great school district with no good options for private schools. My 2 school age children are the top in their class but it pains me to see them not challenged. Honestly, we don't have enrichment options close & don't have time to do it myself at the end of a long school day. I fear that they will go to college & drop out bc it will be the first time they've been challenged. Am I overreacting? My 5th grader has made 1st place in everything she has tried for, which, is of course not realistic in the real world. She has made in the 100% on state testing. Her homework last night was a word search & the amount of bonus points given is ridiculous. I worry that I'm not challenging her enough. We do know people in this district that have children that are lovely people who are going to great colleges, but that is definitely not the norm.

Moving would be a big deal. A really big deal that would take at least a year.

The question is would you keep your kids in a school where they are the top students in their grade but not really challenged? Or move to a town with more competition but hopefully more enrichment & challenges ?

How strong do you feel about it?

Also, when would you move? Oldest is 5th grade currently.
    Mama to 3

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wasn't challenged and had a steep but quick learning curve in college. It truly didn't take me long to figure out that I had to study and work at a new level. Whether someone learns that lesson in 5th, 10th, college or post college work, I wouldn't stress now. It'll come and be fine, I think.
    Plus, I imagine more challenging classes will open up in junior high and or high school. Different levels of math, English and science. Not very challenging elementary school experience just doesn't worry me.if you get to grade 9 and still feel this way then I would explore options.

I excelled all through school with very little effort in very good public schools. When I got to college, I had confidence in my ability and intellect that came from years of being able to achieve whatever I wanted to. I only found a few college courses challenging/difficult but I always believed I could do well and just applied myself as necessary to do so. If she's getting 100 on state tests, which aren't school based, she's killing the competition. I wouldn't stress it. In HS your kids will have more control of what they learn.
    D, married to B, momma to DD1 (7/08) and DD2 (8/10)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post

Also, when would you move? Oldest is 5th grade currently.
    I'd move. I'm okay with a not-so-great elementary school but by high school I want them challenged and if your current place doesn't have junior highs that will teach them waht they need to know at a high level, they may not be ready for a challenging high school if you move Just In Time.

My dad moved our family between 8th grade and high school partly because he did not like the high school we were zoned for and deliberately moved to College Station (where we lived in a trailer instead of a house) instead of the cheaper Bryan because he wanted us in the better school.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

If you can't enrich yourself at home and moving is a possibility, even if difficult, I think that would be my choice. If you plan to move, I would do it at the very latest, for 8th grade. I think you want your Dc to adjust to the new expectations before high school begins, ideally.

That said, I would first approach the school about challenging your daughter and find out what options there might be available. Could you talk to the parents whose kids did end up doing well and asking them what they did?
    ETA: If its only a gap of study skills, then I think its not hard to make an adjustment in college. But if the kids lack a good foundation in writing and other academic skills, then it can hurt them all around in college. I can see very obvious differences in K-12 preparation in my college students.
    Last edited by Simon; 02-12-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Look into homeschooling curriculums to add enrichment / challenges, if moving is not an option.
    I'd worry less about not being used to challenges -- kids adapt -- more than them not developing intellectual curiosity.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would definitely talk to other families about the middle school and high school before making any decisions. Also talk to your DCs current teachers about how to challenge them (at both home and school) and keep them engaged and intellectually curious. We were in a mediocre-ranked school district for DD's K-4th years, and all but her 4th grade teacher were happy to talk to us about this.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I wasn't challenged and had a steep but quick learning curve in college. It truly didn't take me long to figure out that I had to study and work at a new level. Whether someone learns that lesson in 5th, 10th, college or post college work, I wouldn't stress now. It'll come and be fine, I think.
    Plus, I imagine more challenging classes will open up in junior high and or high school. Different levels of math, English and science. Not very challenging elementary school experience just doesn't worry me.if you get to grade 9 and still feel this way then I would explore options.

This was my experience as well, except I was in a slightly more challenging (overall) private school setting. I honestly didn't find most of college all that challenging either (except for the higher level specialty courses that were more talent based). But I did learn that I actually had to study and work a little harder. In some ways, it worked in my favor because I was used to be at the top and I wanted to maintain that standard. Obviously that might not be the case for everyone, but that was my experience.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    This was my experience as well, except I was in a slightly more challenging (overall) private school setting. I honestly didn't find most of college all that challenging either (except for the higher level specialty courses that were more talent based). But I did learn that I actually had to study and work a little harder. In some ways, it worked in my favor because I was used to be at the top and I wanted to maintain that standard. Obviously that might not be the case for everyone, but that was my experience.
    I do think as some posters have mentioned, it is essential that a good foundation in writing, math etc. are built, but otherwise, my experience is not unlike Indianamom or snugglebuggles.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
    I excelled all through school with very little effort in very good public schools. When I got to college, I had confidence in my ability and intellect that came from years of being able to achieve whatever I wanted to. I only found a few college courses challenging/difficult but I always believed I could do well and just applied myself as necessary to do so. If she's getting 100 on state tests, which aren't school based, she's killing the competition. I wouldn't stress it. In HS your kids will have more control of what they learn.
    This is an excellent point about the state tests!

Also, if you are otherwise happy with where you live, maybe it would be less trouble to do some kind of "afterschooling?" I know there is a forum for afterschooling on the well trained mind forums.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast