Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I honestly wouldn't go crazy stressing in elementary school. If she is 100% on state tests she would likely not be challenged enough in most elementary schools even if they are great. In middle school next year there should be options for advancement- for example, doing pre-algebra in 6th and then algebra in 7th and geometry in 8th. If it's a small town and they don't offer that then you can push to let her go to the high school for some classes if she is really not being challenged. Does your district offer any gifted programming?
    Middle and high school will have options such as advanced and AP in high school. If you are happy where you live except for that, I would just keep on keeping on and follow her interests in terms of academics. Maybe see if there are some odyssey of the mind or STEM or junior achievement programs nearby. That sort of thing.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfowife View Post
    I honestly wouldn't go crazy stressing in elementary school. If she is 100% on state tests she would likely not be challenged enough in most elementary schools even if they are great. In middle school next year there should be options for advancement- for example, doing pre-algebra in 6th and then algebra in 7th and geometry in 8th. If it's a small town and they don't offer that then you can push to let her go to the high school for some classes if she is really not being challenged. Does your district offer any gifted programming?
    Middle and high school will have options such as advanced and AP in high school. If you are happy where you live except for that, I would just keep on keeping on and follow her interests in terms of academics. Maybe see if there are some odyssey of the mind or STEM or junior achievement programs nearby. That sort of thing.
    This is a good point. Have you looked into the options that become available in MS?
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I too would look at your middle school options carefully, moreso than elementary. Does your DD start middle next year? Here, our public middles (with the exception of maybe one) are very weak. The bright, high achievers from elementary continue to not be challenged and the gap between the private and public students widens greatly. I agree w/ pp, if you have good middle school options available (including enriching after school activities, clubs, advanced classes, etc.) I would stay put and consider a move before your oldest starts high school. If not, I would talk to your DH about how feasible a move would be for the next year.

I had a great ms and hs experience which really made me dig into academics--I loved it. I would have been bored to tears and very unplugged if I hadn't been challenged those years. Yes, it is certainly possible to excel in college w/o a rigorous hs prep, but it can be unnerving to enter college and realize others have a much greater knowledge of your field of interest because of their backgrounds, especially in the sciences.
    K

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm reading the quote about Pyrodim, saying if she's getting 100 on state tests she's killing the competition. If that's true I'm thinking even in a better rated district she might not be challenged. I guess i would work harder on enrichment at home, if homeschooling is not an option for you either.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is how I feel too. Kids scoring 100% on the state tests are at the top of the range for the whole state. They are bright and good test-takers. My 5th grade DD is like this too, but she has other kids that are right up there with her, and they do math and language differentiation, so she's able to work more at her level. She is at the top of her class in many areas, but I also know that she is being challenged in many areas. In middle school she will have "challenge" class tracks in math and humanities, and I am not concerned about her path at all.

If there was some kind of gifted school here, we would apply, but there is not, so all the bright, capable kids go to our public schools.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I wasn't challenged and had a steep but quick learning curve in college. It truly didn't take me long to figure out that I had to study and work at a new level. Whether someone learns that lesson in 5th, 10th, college or post college work, I wouldn't stress now. It'll come and be fine, I think.
    Plus, I imagine more challenging classes will open up in junior high and or high school. Different levels of math, English and science. Not very challenging elementary school experience just doesn't worry me.if you get to grade 9 and still feel this way then I would explore options.
    Although I was one of those who always had to study to maintain a B+ average in high school an a low 3.00 gpa in college I agree with the above.

My sister who wasn't challenged at all in high school, but had zero interest in attending the Catholic high school in the big city near us because she thought the kids would be snobby graduated from college with a 3.47 or so she missed cum laude designation by a few percentage points. My mom did wonder though if she would make it through community college, which she ended up doing with a high 3.00 gpa. My brother and I did much better in high school and college was a pita for us. My sister wrote papers the day before they were due and as an English major claims she never read an entire book that was assigned. People are just challenged in different ways.

Eta: in regards to the 100% testing I don't think that means a thing. At my DD1's school they take the ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills) and the classes are generally scoring a grade to two grades ahead in all subjects, which is great, but I wonder just where those scores will be when the common core test starts next year. I also don't think that standardized tests should be the"be all end all" of whether someone is prepared for their future.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-14-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are in a similar situation, but dh needs to find a new job for us to move. My dh's job requires him to be a certain distance from work and all the SD in our area and private schools aren't much better. We are hoping to move sometime in the next five yrs. The school district we're in is OK, but I know it's nowhere as competitive as highly competitive districts in other parts of the country. I went to what was supposedly a good SD and had a rude awakening my first semester in college and I was a top student. So I too am afraid to set my kids up for this situation.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, my opinion is that every child deserves to be challenged and that it's best to develop work ethic before middle school age (it's not impossible after, but much, much more difficult)...so I'd prefer to find a school that has options to challenge your kids. But, you can also add to their education on your own from home.

I was also one of those kids who was absolutely unchallenged in elementary school. I went to a great private HS and started developing the ability to study, but I still always got by mostly on my own intelligence and the least amount of work possible...all the way through school. I did well in school (always on the deans list in college), but I would say that I didn't develop the drive and ability to put in the effort to get that far in a professional environment. I wish I had gone to a more challenging elementary school. It affected the choice I made for my kids. I mean, I'm totally fine, but did I ever reach my full potential? No.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 02-14-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Yes, she is in the g/t program but it isn't even done every week. It seems they struggle with so many not meeting minimum standards they kind of lose the kids that need additional material and challenges.
    Mama to 3

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Well, my opinion is that every child deserves to be challenged and that it's best to develop work ethic before middle school age (it's not impossible after, but much, much more difficult)...so I'd prefer to find a school that has options to challenge your kids. But, you can also add to their education on your own from home.

I was also one of those kids who was absolutely unchallenged in elementary school. I went to a great private HS and started developing the ability to study, but I still always got by mostly on my own intelligence and the least amount of work possible...all the way through school. I did well in school (always on the deans list in college), but I would say that I didn't develop the drive and ability to put in the effort to get that far in a professional environment. I wish I had gone to a more challenging elementary school. It affected the choice I made for my kids. I mean, I'm totally fine, but did I ever reach my full potential? No.
    This is very interesting to me, smilequeen, and troubling as this is what I want to avoid. I don't want my kids to think that a school choice impacted their life negatively. Could you elaborate? Do you think enrichment after school would have helped?

At this point the earliest we could move would be during 6th grade or between 6 & 7 grade.

Thanks so much for your honesty!
    Mama to 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast