TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default HBB for second car and for travel?

I have a Frontier 90 in my car, that I love, using in 5-pt harness mode for my 4yo who is 43 in and 40 lbs. However, my DH and I realizing that our work schedules are chaotic enough right now that we can no longer depend on always switching cars (he just has a Britax MA in his sedan, while I have the car with the two carseats). I was all set to buy another Frontier for his car, when it dawned on me that we are planning to travel with both girls for the first time later this year, and that maybe it's better to buy something that we can use for air travel as well (the Frontier seems way too heavy and bulky to ever travel with). So, any recommendations for a good car seat or HBB for travel and second car use for my tall 4yo?
    Last edited by TxCat; 02-11-2015 at 09:24 PM.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

We have these and love them. But they were closer to $30 when we got them. They can fit in the overhead of a plane. http://www.walmart.com/ip/22301298?w...548936&veh=sem
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Or an Evenflo Maestro or Secure Kid (nicer LATCHes, higher headrest for longer booster use), are nice choices if you want keep harnessing longer
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Or an Evenflo Maestro or Secure Kid (nicer LATCHes, higher headrest for longer booster use), are nice choices if you want keep harnessing longer
    Which is the easier install between these two? Would I use either one of these on the plane as well?
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013

The Secure Kid LX/300 has nice regular push on LATCH connectors, easy to get OUT of the car in a jiffy, especially. Maestro has basic old hook on things, a lot more of a pain. Secure Kid DLX/400 has *self retracting* LATCHes, so you plug them in, sit on the seat to install, and it actually gets tighter while you drive. Of course, top tether all of them, that adds a level of annoyance, but it is what it is...
    Anyway, the DLX/400 weighs a little more, because the LATCHes are kind of heavy, but it's not a huuuuuge deal considering the easier install.
    They are all the same pretty easy seatbelt install.
    All can be used on the plane, which is the safest way to make sure it gets to your destination, and the wide belt path makes it reasonably easy to install (recline the plane's seatback for easiest tightening, route the belt, tighten, and then re-upright the seatback).
    If you go with a regular booster, tuck it in the overhead for safe keeping
    Julie

The Secure Kid LX/300 has nice regular push on LATCH connectors, easy to get OUT of the car in a jiffy, especially. Maestro has basic old hook on things, a lot more of a pain. Secure Kid DLX/400 has *self retracting* LATCHes, so you plug them in, sit on the seat to install, and it actually gets tighter while you drive. Of course, top tether all of them, that adds a level of annoyance, but it is what it is...
    Anyway, the DLX/400 weighs a little more, because the LATCHes are kind of heavy, but it's not a huuuuuge deal considering the easier install.
    All can be used on the plane, which is the safest way to make sure it gets to your destination, and the wide belt path makes it reasonably easy to install (recline the plane's seatback for easiest tightening, route the belt, tighten, and then re-upright the seatback).
    Thank you so much for all of the advice! I think we need to keep DD1 harnessed a little longer so I'm going to go with the Secure Kid -thank you!
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the Maestro and find the latch really annoying, and the weight really amazing. How do I do the seat belt install? I think I may need to try that. I also need to buy new seats for a nanny but will ask in a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I have the Maestro and find the latch really annoying, and the weight really amazing. How do I do the seat belt install? I think I may need to try that. I also need to buy new seats for a nanny but will ask in a new thread.
    I think the LATCH weight limit is the same as the harness weight limit, so no NEEED to do seatbelt, but mainly you just run the belt through the belt path and get a knee in there and pull UP hard on the shoulderbelt, which makes the lapbelt tight, then pull the shoulderbelt all the way out to lock it
    Julie

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the LATCH weight limit is the same as the harness weight limit, so no NEEED to do seatbelt, but mainly you just run the belt through the belt path and get a knee in there and pull UP hard on the shoulderbelt, which makes the lapbelt tight, then pull the shoulderbelt all the way out to lock it
    Thank you. I am going to try it. I get a tight install with the latch but it takes too long to install and uninstall. My marathon is a two minute exercise at most with a seat belt install. The Maestro with latch takes FOREVER.