Default need advice on hbb options

We were in a car accident & need to replace ds seat. I have a frontier that we have been using harnessed, but are at the verge of switching to belt mode. Ds is good about sitting still & passing the readiness tests...It's me that is nervous!

He's 6.5, 98th percentile for height, 50th percentile for weight.

Should I replace with the same seat, or is there something better? The car is a Mazda 3

Thanks!

I'm looking at the Recaro Performance Booster; Britax Parkway, and Chicco Kidfit right now...any opinions?

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nicepersonfl View Post
    We were in a car accident & need to replace ds seat. I have a frontier that we have been using harnessed, but are at the verge of switching to belt mode. Ds is good about sitting still & passing the readiness tests...It's me that is nervous!

He's 6.5, 98th percentile for height, 50th percentile for weight.

Should I replace with the same seat, or is there something better? The car is a Mazda 3

Thanks!
    I think when replacing a car seat after an accident insurance will pay for the same seat. Since a frontier costs much more than a plain HBB, I would replace with another frontier. That way you have the option to harness or not.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

If you have a younger kiddo, I'd definitely get a Frontier, since they will reimburse you. If you don't, I know you could get that, but I dunno, might as well just move onward and upward and go with a booster. Frontier's kind of a beast to buckle in booster mode.
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Chicco, and you can test it out at Target. I hear it's comfier than the Parkway, better seat depth and support. Also love the Recaro, haven't heard a bad thing about it at all.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I think when replacing a car seat after an accident insurance will pay for the same seat. Since a frontier costs much more than a plain HBB, I would replace with another frontier. That way you have the option to harness or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    If you have a younger kiddo, I'd definitely get a Frontier, since they will reimburse you. If you don't, I know you could get that, but I dunno, might as well just move onward and upward and go with a booster. Frontier's kind of a beast to buckle in booster mode.
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Chicco, and you can test it out at Target. I hear it's comfier than the Parkway, better seat depth and support. Also love the Recaro, haven't heard a bad thing about it at all.
    I asked the insurance adjuster today & they said it did not have to be the same exact seat - they just wouldn't replace more than the current market value of the current seat. DS is 6.5 & really wanting to ditch the harness. We've done some test runs & I think he's ready...it's more of my hesitation. I can't find a local place to check out the Recaro, but DS picked that one as his favorite. We can go check out the Chicco at Target. Price wise - they are so close to each other. I have a turbo booster to use temporarily as the "emergency" seat for grandparents/carpools that will hold us until I can get the Recaro from Albeebaby. We might have to head to Target tomorrow (if we can get out - 10+ inches of snow today/tonight!) and if he doesn't fall in love with it, order the Recaro if I can't find it locally.

Thanks everyone - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    The recaro is HUGE. I sent it back to amazon after trying DD in it. Actually what I didn't like was that the cover was in the lower belt path. But I'm not a tech or a booster expert and I'm sure it passed testing that way--I just didn't like that the belt path wasn't plain plastic. I also didn't like the removable cup-holders. They didn't sit right empty and I could just picture them constantly coming out and getting lost. Not trying to discourage the OP from this seat but those are my complaints. My DD is more petite (although big enough to booster full time) and I decided to return her to full time harnessing.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    The recaro is HUGE. I sent it back to amazon after trying DD in it. Actually what I didn't like was that the cover was in the lower belt path. But I'm not a tech or a booster expert and I'm sure it passed testing that way--I just didn't like that the belt path wasn't plain plastic. I also didn't like the removable cup-holders. They didn't sit right empty and I could just picture them constantly coming out and getting lost. Not trying to discourage the OP from this seat but those are my complaints. My DD is more petite (although big enough to booster full time) and I decided to return her to full time harnessing.
    (click click click)...sound of me filing complaints into my mental rolodex. Thanks for the input!!!!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#