Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Anyone been told not to use Seventh Generation dishwashing detergent?

Our newish dishwasher does a terrible job and we were recently told it's because we use Seventh Generation. If we used Cascade, it would function fine, they said. I don't understand why using Cascade vs using Seventh Generation would make such a big difference. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

no but I was never happy with seventh generation and have used Finish for years. Ive had a couple brands and tried it a few times but always went back to Finish ( with the read ball thing in the middle)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I don't find Seventh Generation to be that effective in my dishwasher, but Cascade, Finish, and even the Target brand DW detergent work great. I find all the Seventh Generation products to be hit or miss.
    Green Tea, mom to three

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone been told not to use Seventh Generation dishwashing detergent?

I have been using Cascade pretty faithfully for most of my adult life, and I can definitely tell the difference if I use another brand. I even tried Finish liquid once and I didn't like it as much as the basic Cascade. We use the liquid still because we have an apartment sized dishwasher and the tabs are too much for our small system., and clogged it up.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I don't find Seventh Generation to be that effective in my dishwasher, but Cascade, Finish, and even the Target brand DW detergent work great. I find all the Seventh Generation products to be hit or miss.
    ITA...I use natural versions of almost everything but after experimenting have gone back to mainstream stuff for dishwasher detergent, dish washing soap, and glass cleaner. I just don't like the performance of natural versions of those.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have hard water? I would guess the natural brands can't break down the minerals, so those minerals build up on the mechanisms. Cascade has some sort of agent that helps to break down those minerals to get a cleaner rinse.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a Miele dishwasher. The Miele repair made it clear that we can't use 7th gen. He only recommends the finish tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Bosch only recommends the Finish tabs. I used something else once and it didn't do well at all, so I stick with Finish.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I tried to use the natural stuff for years, and just ended up with dirty dishes all the time. I tried white vinegar as a rinse aid, and it did nothing. I couldn't put anything larger than a small bowl in the dishwasher without the whole load ending up with gunk all over it.

I switched to finish tabs, which helped a lot, and then finally added the finish rinse aid, and now I can load my dishwasher with whatever dishes I want and they all come out clean!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Same as the others. I used Ecover tabs successfully for a few years, but then they stopped working well and would stay half dissolved. Got a new dishwasher, and they didn't work at all. Now using Finish tabs and (reluctantly) rinse aid. The dishes are always clean.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast