Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd have ( and have done it) no issues with being gone for an hour&half - 2 hrs at that age. You are a phone call away and I'd check in once. Go have lunch.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I'd have ( and have done it) no issues with being gone for an hour&half - 2 hrs at that age. You are a phone call away and I'd check in once. Go have lunch.
    I have done this not infrequently since dd was 9 (she is 10 now).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Assuming the kids dont FIGHT like my boys do I'd be totally fine with it. You are 10 mins away and they know how to call you right? DH could also come home and have lunch with the kids if he wanted to.

Are the nervous?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Go to lunch. If your husband is that paranoid he can come home from work and sit there while nothing bad happens.
    Yes, this.

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Seriously, just go. It's 90 minutes. Kids aren't stupid. Your older daughter wants some independence so she's not going to screw this up. You are right; they are going to stare at the tv and not even notice you are gone.
    Totally agree. It sounds like your DH doesn't have any specific concerns, other than "what if..." It sounds like they're trustworthy and would be fine. Enjoy lunch!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

My 9 yo and 6 yo are on their own for about an hour a few times a week.

My 11 yo nephew won't let my MIL go to the mailbox at the end of the driveway when she's babysitting him so I think it depends on the kid. I will say that I think my nephew can't be left alone for 10 minutes because he's never been left alone for 10 minutes. Kids are really good at knowing what's expected of them.
    Last edited by roobee; 02-18-2015 at 11:42 AM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    My 9 yo and 6 yo are on their own for about an hour a few times a week.

My 11 yo nephew won't let my MIL go to the mailbox at the end of the driveway when she's babysitting him so I think it depends on the kid. I will say that I think my nephew can't be left alone for 10 minutes because he's never been left alone for 10 minutes. Kids are really good at knowing what's expected of them.
    6 would be illegal in Maryland to eave alone with anyone under 13. 8 is the age when I started with mine leaving for short periods of time 1 - 1.5 hrs. ( also what the state allows ) Some states have age recommendations/ laws
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would be OK with leaving them alone for 90 minutes as long as you think they will get along. I only have 1 child, 11 years old, but I notice that he is more mischievous and pays less attention to his surroundings when he has a friend over.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It sounds like a great opportunity to give them some independence. Kids need opportunities to make good decisions or else they will never know how. This is brief and you are close. Go for it!
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We just left our kids at home for the very first time!!! My kids are age 10 and age 13.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast