Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default S/O go fund me idea.....WDYT?

I'm interested in people's opinions on this scenario.....

Large birthday party for multiple siblings. It is asked that you don't bring presents but instead donate for presents (box for donations at party).

I genuinely have no idea how I feel about this as I've never heard or thought of this before.....Thoughts?
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Where do people come up with these ideas from? If you decide to go, I guess a $ amount for whatever gift you were going to buy. If it were me, unless they were really good friends, I'd not go to the party. Realistically, I don't think any of my good friends (or kids' good friends) would do this though. Obviously, the hosts want money, but there's nothing proper about this scenario to me.

Wait -- they want the donations to buy the birthday kids presents?! I don't know - some people put of their registries that they want gift cards. I guess this isn't too different...
    Last edited by carolinacool; 02-19-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So they are doing a gift collection, like Toys for Tots, that they will donate to charity?

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Why would it be a problem to collect for toys to donate? If their kids don't need more toys and their family has made the decision to donate toys in lieu of gifts, I would have no problem with it.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I've been to a couple of adult parties where we were asked to bring food to give to a local shelter. I was OK with it. Are they requesting toys? Did they say where the donations would go?
    No - it is donations for presents for their kids.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you sure? Under no circumstances would I call that a "donation." They used the term donation? That's contributing to a gift.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
    No - it is donations for presents for their kids.
    Yes, I caught that right after a posted! Is that what it says: "donate for presents?" Because that wording is confusing. If it's for their kids, that's pretty tacky, I think.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Are you sure? Under no circumstances would I call that a "donation." They used the term donation? That's contributing to a gift.
    I am sure. They have said the kids have so much stuff they would rather get them each a "big" present. Contribution would have been a much better term, you're right!

ETA: I have trouble even suggesting that Mopey likes books and wears a 3T (as I've seen on other invites) so I have been continually surprised by what I've encountered as a mom. I wish it was donations for other children
    Last edited by Mopey; 02-19-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Blech. This takes all of the fun out of gift giving. It's a money grab and I don't like it one bit.

I totally get the reason behind it....they don't want a bunch of $10-$20 toys piling up for their kids who probably already have too many as it is, but it is over the top to request that all party attendees contribute to one large gift....that they don't even play a part in selecting.

If you don't want birthday presents, I think the best solution is to do a toy drive for a charity.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast