Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default WWYD - Foonf & fender bender/scrape

While I was out running errands and having lunch earlier today, someone clipped the rear driver's side bumper of my car while it was parked on the street and they were driving out of a parking lot. The car was empty and I wasn't there so I have no idea how hard the impact was, but the corner of the bumper just has lots of paint transfer from their car and 3 or 4 scrapes that went through my paint and scraped the plastic of the bumper. Thankfully they left a note.

When I called Clek they said that they recommend replacement for ANY crash. When I talked to my insurance company & repeated that when they asked if there was a carseat, the claims adjustor told me the NTSB definition of crash and when they would expect replacement (this doesn't meet it) but that if I wanted it replaced that they'd have to get a receipt from the new purchase and proof that the old carseat was rendered inoperable and turned in to someone (CHP, etc) who could dispose of it properly/officially. That's totally fine; I wouldn't have it replaced to try to get a 3rd carseat for free.

But would you go through the hassle of replacing it for an accident like this? I will for sure have it replaced if the appraisal reveals damage to anything other than the bumper, but it kind of feels like taking advantage to have it replaced for this. What would you do if it were your kids, car, and carseat?

I wouldn't replace it, I just don't think that qualifies as a 'crash'...what forces transferred to the carseat if the car didn't even move, you know? No forces=no damage.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Great, thanks Jools! That's one less thing I have to deal with!