JCat is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Hearbuilder Question

Has anyone here used this program? How was it? (Before I spend a lot of money on it!!!) We are just about done with Earobics. Also anything similar to help improve visual processing? Nowhere around here has vision therapy therapy, and the closest place does not accept insurance. (Of course!) TIA!!!

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know about hearbuilder. Do you know what the visual processing issues are more specifically -- tracking, discrimination, memory, sequencing, field-ground etc? Some OTs are skilled in visual perception issues (you have to hunt around though). There are also books on amazon with exercises and just the normal mazes, connect the dots, copying shapes etc can be very good for that.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

I cannot even find a behavioral optomitrist to get a vision evaluation done so i don't know! We did pay out of pocket for an excellent OT evaluation but I need something more detailed. I know he at the LEAST has a problem with tracking and he's got Irlen syndrome as well but I know there's a lot more going on. (For some reason it was much easier to get help with his auditory processing than this.) Any good books about this at least? I've bought a few and they were very general and not helpful. Thank you for answering! I feel like this has been ignored in his other therapy and I'm trying to help him as best I can.

The vision therapy is the latest trend in our area - many kids with reading issues are all signing up for it even without a real evaluation. I think there may be some kids that have a true problem, but with the wildfire popularity it seems like good marketing. Has your child had a full work-up to see what learning differences they may have? Something besides an OT evaluation.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hearbuilder has online demos available, so that may give you some feel for the program. I remember doing the demos way back when the program first came out, but we ended up not buying it. We did Earobics (both stages) and I think that benefited DS a lot. I was able to get Earobics for free from on of the local special needs resource libraries. You may want to check if any such libraries in your area have Hearbuilder.

I agree with sste that visual processing disorders can take on many forms and you will need to know the specifics of his challenges to develop a plan. Some doctors believe Irlen syndrome is caused by other eye issues. Has he been seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist to rule out any structural issues? DS has complicated vision issues and gets a Functional Vision Assessment done by the special ed regional center. But he has a low vision/ vision impairment diagnosis. I don't know if they do a FVA for processing issues.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Yes we have seen a pediatric opthamoligist already and everything checked out okay. He already goes to a dr for his ASD, ADHD and SPD plus all his other therapy. I just feel like the sensory issues get largely ignored and they are the root of a lot of the other issues. OT is not covered by our insurance and the OT through the district concentrates on handwriting at this point, so anything done for this will have to be done by ourselves, or ideally by someone providing professional help for visual processing disorder (if I can find someone near us.)
    And no Special Ed library here! I asked when we were in EI. I swear I almost started one myself.
    Thank you everyone for responding.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Jcat, fwiw I have very mixed feelings about our vision therapy and our son does have vision issues recognized even by his optho who hates visions therapy. It is expensive, time-consuming, takes away from other activities. That being said we have seen some real improvements in his depth perception, 3-d, ability and eagerness to build things. I think there are major issues with VT when 1) providers are unethical; 2) parents believe it is a treatment for reading (not sure if reading is your son's issue but it is what drives many families to VT).

There are books on amazon about vision therapy that include workbook exercises. I don't have any recs but you could order all of them for the cost of an appointment or two.

On the OT, our insurance won't cover OT when it is coded as developmental but they will cover when it is coded for my son's hypotonia or his coordination disorder (the latter is that basically he has poor hand-eye, you couldn't tell until he hits a sports field!). I think you need to work with an OT that is willing to do some advocacy and coding research for you to get coverage . . .
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

His reading is actually fine (and far above grade level), though he does have trouble with black type on white paper, or if there are multiple lines of type so I have him using tinted colored reading guide strips and everything is fine. His VBA therapist actually figured out he needed a guide strip. I could never figure out why he would read ANYTHING except for books!
    Thanks for the tips on the OT coverage. I'm not sure if he has anything going on that will qualify him though. The physical aspects are something that is a strong point for him.
    I guess from here I will try and get an evaluation from a good behavioral opthamologist, read some books, and get some workbooks from Amazon!
    Thank you everyone!!!

Oh yes, and thank you for pointing out there's a Hearbuilder site with a demo!!!