Before the kids, DH and I took an amazing trip to PEI, Cape Breton Island, and Nova Scotia. We fell head over heels in love with PEI (though the rest of the trip was none too shabby), and we did try to go back when DS was little, but we had a bad rental house and extended family with us, and the trip was a disaster. We've never stopped dreaming of going back for a nice stretch, like a week or two in the summer, and we're thinking maybe this is the summer to do it. I'm wondering if anybody has vacationed in PEI and if you have a favorite location or even a specific house to recommend.

I'm hoping for a kid friendly beach that is steps from the house, but I might sacrifice swimming right from the house for views of the ocean, red roads, and dunes or red cliffs. I've heard Park Corner/Cousin's Beach is nice. I'm just hoping to RELAX, and that landscape was so relaxing to me! I wouldn't mind being close to food shopping and restaurants, but I don't want to be in the heart of Cavendish. That's just not relaxing to me! We've never seen anything on the southern shore. We were doing the Anne thing mostly, though we did also do a seal tour from the eastern side of the island. I'd really love any suggestions as to where to stay, what to see, where to eat, things that are fun with kids, anything, really.