• Minivan!!

17 54.84%
  • Infiniti qx80

12 38.71%
  • Peanut butter & jelly (other)

2 6.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    I love our minivan, but could not imagine having two. It is nice to have cars that suit different purposes, our second is a mid-size sedan that fits three across the back row.

I guess I wasnt clear. This new car will replace my minivan. We won't have two.

Also, good point about teen drivers & the qx80 , maybe not a good idea.
    Mama to 3

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    I love our minivan, but could not imagine having two. It is nice to have cars that suit different purposes, our second is a mid-size sedan that fits three across the back row.
    haha, we actually have two!! dh took over my old one when i leased this new on 3 years ago. he LOVES having our old minivan. dh also has a f350 dually for our camper, snow plowing, work, but for small stuff he loves having the van, he took out the third row, so it's like an enclosed truck to him haha.

i am looking at pilots vs ody right now and spacewise and for all the awesome features i don't think i can get something different. i my minivan, and i'm proud plus like another poster said, we have my parents that come into town every summer and having a minivan is just more convenient when we all drive together.

kids are 8/10/12 when they all have their bdays this summer and im totally fine driving another mini till they are gone lol.
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I think it boils down to if you are a mini van person or not. The world is full of them, sure, but some people just don't like mini vans regardless of whether or not it is a perfect car for them. I spend my life in my car, driving to and from work and shuttling various kids to swimming and other school related things. I love having an SUV and would never drive a minivan. My sister loved her Honda Oddyssey for years, and while she likes her CRV now, never minded a minivan. I don't think anyone can make the choice for you.
    AGree with this. Cause otherwise I'd choose to spend the money on a minivan. I have 3, ages 5-9 and if I was going to spend on a car, I'd rather be practical. But if I really didn't like minivans for whatever reason, that could be a dealbreaker.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think if you are past the lifting up to carseats and loading double stroller age, an SUV with easy access to the 3rd row is what I would do. My minivan is very easy for me....I can open the doors in advance and load the kids easily and put the stroller in at a low height. When I go to the track in the morning, I put the 3rd row down (I never use it, but like that well for groceries and the stroller) and let the kids play in the back. Tons of standing room. When my kids can get in own carseats and I don't have a stroller, I think I will trade in for an SUV. I miss the ground clearance a lot and realized this winter I really do need 4 wheel drive at the farm.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Consumer reports just came out with their annual (April) car magazine - it has tons of great info. You can easily compare gas mileage, cargo volume, safety ratings, reliability etc. etc. etc.

The two vehicles you are looking are both recommended by Consumer Reports –
    - the Odyssey is the number one rated minivan (of eight that were tested) with an overall score of 84.
    - the Infiniti QX 80 is rated second to last (of 18 tested) in the luxury midsize/large SUV category, with an overall score of 68.

I would likely get the Odyssey, but also consider other higher rated luxury SUVs (if price wasn't an object). I would have a very hard time buying one of the lowest rated vehicles in any category.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am not in the market for either but if you live in a snowy climate with hills, I would think twice about the odyssey. I was just with my neighbor who has one. We have long driveways and park at the bottom of the hill. She has had many times over the past couple winters she hasn't gotten up the hill. She loves the car otherwise but she said this is the last winter. Her DH has the Acura suv so they have been relying on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I am not in the market for either but if you live in a snowy climate with hills, I would think twice about the odyssey. I was just with my neighbor who has one. We have long driveways and park at the bottom of the hill. She has had many times over the past couple winters she hasn't gotten up the hill. She loves the car otherwise but she said this is the last winter. Her DH has the Acura suv so they have been relying on that.

My friend has an Ody and we live with lots of snow and hills. She says snow tires make all the difference. If your friend doesn't have them, suggest them. All weathers don't cut it.

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My friend has an Ody and we live with lots of snow and hills. She says snow tires make all the difference. If your friend doesn't have them, suggest them. All weathers don't cut it.
    Snow tires are priceless. Amazing difference! I have an Ody and live in Michigan not far from the lake so we are regularly hit with lake effect snow in addition to system snow. Yeah, we get a lot of snow. I have no problem with my Ody + snow tires. Much prefer it to my husbands 4x4 SUV without snow tires, actually.
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post

I live in the mountains of the northeast. We have a lot of snow, and my road is up a very steep hill that ends in a dirt road. I manage fine in my Ody with snow tires. Without the snow tires, not so much. Meanwhile, a friend traded in her Sienna, which she got specifically for the all wheel drive, though she wasn't crazy about it otherwise, for an Odyssey this year right before all this wretched snow. She says the Odyssey with snow tires drives better than the Sienna despite not having four wheel drive. That's just one person's experience, of course, but it does speak to the ability of the Ody to handle snow on hills. You absolutely need the snow tires, though.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I entertained the idea of the QX, but really couldn't stomach the price. My kids are going to be kids and the car will be pretty "lived in" after a few years.
    K

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast