deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default 7.5 year old STILL under 40 lbs...so confused

I am confused what my 7 year old who is unbelievably STILL under 40 pounds can safely be in / or should be in.

He's still harnessed but he's not happy about it.

Also my main concern is when I need others to drive him - none of his friends use a highback booster or car seat anymore, so it is awkward to be like "here is his giant carseat to transport him in".

I was going to buy a Graco Turbobooster as the one we hand to people when they need to transport him - I really want to go with just the backless booster since he is so close to 40 pounds and is nearing 8 years old. Open to other ideas...

Honestly, my kids have been in seats so long, I'm worried that one that we use regularly may be out-of-date. I think my Frontier is OK, because I seem to recall that having a 9 year expiration. I think it is a Decathalon in DH car that may be out-of-date.

Thanks for any advice!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bet the decathalon is expired - they are only good for 6 years and I know they were discontinued quite a while ago.

Have you checked what the belt fit is like with a backless? How much does he weigh? I would be 100% fine with a highback booster seat that fit well but I would be very careful with the fit on a backless.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think he is about 37 pounds. No, I haven't checked recently to see how the belt is in the frontier. I just kept using the harness.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Take the back off your old Turbo and check the fit and don't worry too much about the weight limits. If it's expired, find a new one or something cooler, like a nice shiny backless AMP or Harmony Transit. Frontier should fit ok in booster mode...uninstall and give it a shot?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#