Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am glad you are pushing on although I'm sorry its so hard. My good friend (diagnosed as an adult, uses medication off and on), says that her meds have had such a profoundly positive effect on her life. If #2 falls through, I would push your "its anxiety" Dr. and explicitly request an ADHD treatment med. You can propose it in a less confrontational way, "I'd like to do a trial of meds, to help rule it out, I do not believe it is anxiety alone." If he refuses, I'd set a short-term trial for anxiety meds and get him to commit to trying ADHD meds after if you don't see relief. Or, I'd try to find a medication (if one exists) that has been used successfully on both and request that one!
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

JCat is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I found out about the anxiety being a way to stay organized when I was reading about ADHD for my son! I was always anxious but could never figure out why. Once I realized what I was doing I was able to let it go. Of course, now I keep forgetting things. But it's much more preferable to constantly being anxious.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow - that article (and the links in it) describe me and will be a huge help. I'm sorry you are suffering, OP, and I hope you find the answers to help. I'm all about needing external structure, visual reminders, routine, etc. or I forget things. Procrastination is my middle name. Seems like there are a lot of us here and we could likely help one another with strategies and organizational tips.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Wow - that article (and the links in it) describe me and will be a huge help. I'm sorry you are suffering, OP, and I hope you find the answers to help. I'm all about needing external structure, visual reminders, routine, etc. or I forget things. Procrastination is my middle name. Seems like there are a lot of us here and we could likely help one another with strategies and organizational tips.
    I feel the same way! It describes me to a tee! I was wondering about nutritional supplements. I recently had some bloodwork done and was found to be deficient in b12. I received a series of shots and I felt "clearer" and more focused. The effect is wearing off and I am thinking of getting my levels retested. I am also wondering about omega-3 supplements....
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

UPDATE: I had an appointment with the psychiatrist who specializes in adult adhd yesterday morning. He agreed completely with the psychologist and prescribed me adderall. That surprised me, but when I asked why adderall (20mg twice daily 6 days/week) he said I need something strong and that the long lasting ones don't tend to be as effective and are more difficult to titrate.

I had to drive 2 hours to his office, but I am so glad that I did. Knowing this about myself makes so many things in my life make sense. I told him that I hoped me getting things sorted out would in turn help my DD#1 (who probably also has ADHD) and he just shook his head and said "The only way to treat ADHD is with medication. If someone showed or told you how to stay focused and organized, would it make any difference?" This really stood out to me because people HAVE tried to help me, particularly DH and my Mom. They have tried repeatedly over the years and it NEVER works. Things always go back to the way things were before they stepped in to help, always.

I dropped my prescription of yesterday and the pharmacy had to order it (the Dr. prescrbed a particular generic brand) so I will update with how things go for me. I'm ready to feel what it's like to be "normal".
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

good for you! And good luck on the meds. I know that with DS in particular the side effects were a little much the first 2 days or so but once his system settled in he was much better (the vyvanse caused a lot of nausea, and then this crazy facial tic but in a few days he felt much better-although he has still lost a lot of weight-we have a recheck fri and he may have to switch meds). DD is on focalin and has had pretty much no side effects.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    UPDATE: I had an appointment with the psychiatrist who specializes in adult adhd yesterday morning. He agreed completely with the psychologist and prescribed me adderall. That surprised me, but when I asked why adderall (20mg twice daily 6 days/week) he said I need something strong and that the long lasting ones don't tend to be as effective and are more difficult to titrate.

I had to drive 2 hours to his office, but I am so glad that I did. Knowing this about myself makes so many things in my life make sense. I told him that I hoped me getting things sorted out would in turn help my DD#1 (who probably also has ADHD) and he just shook his head and said "The only way to treat ADHD is with medication. If someone showed or told you how to stay focused and organized, would it make any difference?" This really stood out to me because people HAVE tried to help me, particularly DH and my Mom. They have tried repeatedly over the years and it NEVER works. Things always go back to the way things were before they stepped in to help, always.

I dropped my prescription of yesterday and the pharmacy had to order it (the Dr. prescrbed a particular generic brand) so I will update with how things go for me. I'm ready to feel what it's like to be "normal".

DS2 started out on Adderall XR 5mgs 1x/day and it was eye opening and amazing all at the same time. The downside of it were the side effects (headache, tummy ache, lack of appetite and weight loss). After awhile the headaches and tummy ache went away but the lack of appetite and weight loss persisted. We really have to push food and supplements on him. So, if you were looking to lose a few pounds, you're on the right meds now! Also, after 2 months the 5mgs seemed to not be as effective--they seemed to wear off after just a few hours. Now he is on Adderall XR 10mgs 1x/day and is well controlled. We have noticed that it seems to have an additional side effect of making him "sensitive" and argumentative as it's wearing off. Rather than punish him for bad behavior during that time we talk to him and give him extra snuggles and that seems to help him transition a little better.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am glad you found someone who could confirm the psychiatrist and your own feelings. I hope this medication helps you function like you want to!
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

OP, I know this is an older thread but I wanted to know how the Adderall is working for you. I have the same exact issues and was diagnosed with ADHD about 1.5 years ago. I was also prescribed Adderall but literally a few days later, found out I was pregnant so I wasn't able to take it. I'm still breastfeeding so still can't take it and I'm so anxious to start again as I'm even more overwhelmed with 3 kids now...I'd love to hear if it's working for you.
    DS 2008
    DD 2010
    DS 2014

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Happy to update! It definitely helps me.....for a little bit....at work. It's not the miracle cure-all I was hoping for, but it works well enough that I am going to continue taking it. My productivity and work product have definitely improved. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't help me much at home in the evenings because it has worn off by then. I don't take it past 1:00 pm because it tends to cause insomnia, so its a double edge sword in that regard.

I recently started taking celexa for anxiety and the combination of the adderall and the celexa really does help overall.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2