Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default 2 year old With stomach bug

Any tips? Started vomiting about 9am and hasnt really kept much down.
    I guess he's thrown up about 6 times. I am nervous to put him in bed because i am afraid he'll need me. He is acting so pitiful. I am just holding him on the couch. Offering him little sips of gatorade or water. Any tips?

blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Poor guy... Just keep offering him little sips of liquid. Sometimes my two year is more likely to drink from an open cup or straw cup then a sippy, since he rarely gets them (maybe the novelty may get your kiddo to drink a little). My only other advice is to lay out extra crib sheets, change of clothes, diapers, and trash bags (to put dirty things in before washing) before you put him to bed. That way you are not searching for them in the middle of the night, and can get him cleaned up and back to bed quickly encase he throws up. Hope he feels better
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

If you are ok with it and it will make him drink more, I would buy a 'favorite' drink, like apple or grape juice.
    Also, I don't know much about pro biotics, but my friends swear by them. Not sure if they should be eaten by a 2 yo (not that they definitely shouldn't - I just don't know anything about them either way).

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Poor guy... Just keep offering him little sips of liquid. Sometimes my two year is more likely to drink from an open cup or straw cup then a sippy, since he rarely gets them (maybe the novelty may get your kiddo to drink a little). My only other advice is to lay out extra crib sheets, change of clothes, diapers, and trash bags (to put dirty things in before washing) before you put him to bed. That way you are not searching for them in the middle of the night, and can get him cleaned up and back to bed quickly encase he throws up. Hope he feels better
    Yes, definitely lay things out before going to bed! I sometimes lay towels out next to the bed too, in case they try to get out of bed while vomiting. We keep a crib mattress under our bed and pull it out for sick kids that need nighttime monitoring. They get to sleep in our room, so we hear them better, and crib sheets are small and easier to wash than twin sheets. Hope he has a peaceful night's sleep!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you don't think he's getting enough fluids, use a syringe to squirt some in his mouth every 15 minutes. DS1 has the stomach flu at this age and we were very close to being hospitalized for dehydration. This trick saved us.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm just seeing this now. I hope your little one is feeling better and slept well.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks guys. He didnt throw up again but was restless and awake and crying most of the night. Totally broke my heart! He did ask for water throughout the night and I picked up some pedialite this morning so hopefully he is out of the woods. He is still feverish though and now we just have that dark cloud of foreboding when onky one out of five has been sick so far.

One of my best friends (20 weeks pregnant) just texted that her DS has been hospitalized with the flu, the other three kids are home with the flu and bless her heart she has been caring for the two young kids of her twin sister who just delivered a baby two days ago! I am running out to get some gifts to send via a friend because I am feeling awful for her! Her son couldn't walk...I know I have read about this here before. So scary!!

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hopefully your DS is on the mend! Maybe the rest of your family will dodge this one - that IS such a dark cloud that hangs over for the next few days One thing that seems to work for us is small ice chips. My kids always BEG for water b/c they are so thirsty, and I know they would gulp it down and it would come right back up. So, an ice chip every 5-10 minutes seems to work pretty well. It's going around for sure - I've never seen so many on FB with puking kids. DD had it last weekend, too - no fun!!!
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7