barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Strep Throat question/weirdness

Please help me figure this out! What are your experiences w/ strep and vomiting?

DS threw up Thursday at bedtime 8pm. He tossed and turned w/ fever all night and stomach ache, but didn't vomit again.
    Fever gone in AM (Friday), but throat hurt and fever again that midmorning, so went to dr, throat swab came back for Strep.
    2 doses of abx Friday, 3 doses Saturday, 1 dose Sunday.

Big puke (no fever) today (Sunday) at lunch. He also had loose stools midmorning, which i figured were from the abx. (Cephalexin)

Whaaat?? I get that vomiting is a symptom of strep, but he hasn't even been contagious for a whole day! How long can I expect puking from strep? The abx are 3x/day for 12 days. (ugh!)
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My one son throws up with strep, but he always stops quickly once we start antibiotics. Usually within a few hours of the first dose.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Do you give him food with his medications? Not just the abx but Tylenol and Ibuprofen too? My kids puke almost every time I give them meds without some crackers.

Otherwise he could have strep with a side of tummy bug or other virus.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, he hasn't needed any ibuprofen since bedtime Friday. indo give him something usually but when he threw up he hadn't had a dose of abx since 7:30 am, and just cereal and milk. I'm just confused bc we haven't been anywhere (snow. Sickness) to pick up a stomach bug, and he's been taking the abx since Friday with no trouble...?

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, maybe your part of the world has the same nasty stomach bug circulating as mine? And it can come into your house with anyone who then touches a surface that your son then touches.... Honestly, other than giving my kids pain meds on an empty stomach, I can never predict vomiting. Wish I could. .

Hope your little one feels better soon.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.