Default Audiobook Rentals??

I am looking for an audiobook rental service. I would prefer one that I can download to my cell phone (i phone) It would be great if we could download to a few devices. The reason I want one that I can download is that we often travel in areas where there is no cell service, so streaming is not an option for us. Our local library does have free downloads that then disappear off your device after 22 days. Which is great, and I will use it, but they have a limited title selection. I also check out audiobooks from them all the time, but not every title is available at every branch, etc etc. It is nice to have the flexibility of an online download. So my questions are:

1. Are there companies that let you download as a rental vs a purchase?

2. If there are not these types of companies, what about the companies that ship you CDs--like Netflix. Does anybody use one of those?

3. We could use a streaming service around town. Does anybody use one of those and like them?

I have checked out audible etc--$15 a month for one book is too much for me. But that seems to be the standard in purchasing audible books.

Thanks for your help!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you put audiobooks (on CD) on hold at your local branch even if they are not available there? I do that all the time. It would stink to be limited to what's available at my local branch!

I use the library e-audiobooks all the time. The MP3 format is easiest for me, but WMA works as well. Is it that the overall selection is limited or that the wait times are long?

I feel your pain on the price of audible.com. I never realized that audiobooks were so expensive!

ETA: There is also scribd. I honestly know very little about it. It bills itself as "Netflix for books" and also audiobooks. But I don't know what their library is like. It's $9 a month and you can try the first month free.
    Last edited by egoldber; 03-01-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Audible.com? Not sure what all they offer.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you have family in a major city you can use their library membership. Also I think you can buy a membership to some libraries...I think Philadelphia is one that you can do that. Then you have access to their online libraries. I have 3 library memberships and the larger cities have much better collections/availability IME.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nfowife View Post
    If you have family in a major city you can use their library membership. Also I think you can buy a membership to some libraries...I think Philadelphia is one that you can do that. Then you have access to their online libraries. I have 3 library memberships and the larger cities have much better collections/availability IME.
    I wondered about that!! Huh--I will try Philly and see if it is possible.

The wait times are not bad at our library, its just that I am usually going in there on the Friday before a road trip, looking for an audiobook and the one I want is at another branch 30 minutes away. I am a consummate travel planner, but this detail apparently escapes me!

And then there are the times we want a new book and the library doesn't have it yet.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."