Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Do I need a new carseat?

DH got rearended this morning on his way to work. He was not moving, but he was hit on a city street at what I will guess was about 30 MPH. The real bumper on his car will have to be completely replaced.

Luckily, the Biscuit was not in the car, However, his Frontier 90 was.

How do I know if we need a new seat? We are putting our claim in to the other driver's insurance today and want to be sure to include the seat (at MSRP so I can be sure that we do not have to go out of pocket for it) if necessary.

TIA!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Did you find this? http://www.britaxusa.com/support/faq/after-a-crash
    Sounds like a probably, yes.
    I hope DH is ok! I got tapped barely going 2 miles per hour once, 200$ damage, and my neck hurt for weeks (and I was a youthful 18, granted, the headrests were too low to help, probably, but ow!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the link. DH drove away from the accident, the vehicle door nearest the seat was undamaged, DH appears to be fine (grumpy, but fine), and the air bags did not deploy. DH did not look at the seat (too much on his mind; he did not even think about damage to the seat until I mentioned it and at that point the seat already was at the body shop), but I might have the body shop look at it. Otherwise, this would appear to be what Britax calls a "minor crash", so I will have to find out what state law is.

That said, if we do have to replace the seat, maybe I will get something other than the Frontier. DH keeps complaining about how hard it is to adjust the straps, but The Biscuit really likes the seat a lot and the install was a breeze.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Call Britax. DH was in a similar rear end accident a few years ago. DD2 was in her seat but DD1 was with me. Both Britax and Safety First overnighted me replacement seats and all I had to do was box up the old seats and they sent UPS to retrieve them at no charge.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

The red thread ripping out on the Versa Tether is the sign it's totally unusable (video on this page http://www.britaxusa.com/learning-ce...g-versa-tether), but in a rear crash, that's not activated, so hmmm... yeah might call them.
    Sometimes the harness will work better in a higher setting, is the harness raisable a notch or two more to make things smoother? Not to mention, if it's a bit above the shoulders, it might not need regular loosening and tightening at all, it'll be easy enough to squirm into a tight-enough harness without any extra work on dh's part (unless he just hates how the button is in that toddler-proof position way under the seat, but still, raising the harness might just make the whole situation easier...)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Just replace it. They hit you and should give you any problem. If it was a hard hit, then replace. You can get reimbursed. Buy a new seat today.

I would get a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk