Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I would not leave a kid in a convertible past 5. I think it's time to move to a HBB. The Parkway is great.
    Why not?

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by meljc View Post
    Why not?
    DS is 5 1/2 and still harnessed in a Maestro and Nautilus. He did out grow the harness on his Harmony seat.
    DS 6/09

I used DS's seat for DD. Otherwise, I'd have kept him in it until it expired (which was a week or two ago) or until he outgrew it. He's still harnessed in a Frontier at age 6. He rides in a low backed booster on vacation and in carpools, and he's perfectly capable of using a booster, but he loves his frontier, and I don't see why he shouldn't stay harnessed as long as he fits and is willing. Keep your DD in her seat until she outgrows it or objects. Then you can switch her to a booster. There's no need to rush if she's comfortable and happy.

My older daughter was harnessed in a Frontier until she was 10 then we switched to booster mode.

My six year old is harnessed rear-facing in one car in a Radian XTSL and forward facing in a Marathon (too tall for rear facing in that one)

so, no, I don't see anything wrong with staying harnessed to the limits of the seat. That's what the AAP recommends now.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 4.75 and 42 inches. I plan on keeping her 5 pointed for as long as i can.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

I wouldn't move her unless you have a major reason to, like carpooling difficulties.
    Also, look at the Chicco Kid Fit, word from the kids has it it's more comfy than the PW
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My 5 yo is still harnessed and will likely be until he outgrows his seat. He does use a booster in a babysitter's car once a week and could for a short drive with a friend. We lock the seat belt, which keeps him from reaching too far out of position, but he sits very well and is safe in the booster.

I think its perfectly reasonable to say that she can have a booster when she outgrows her harness. OTOH, you could also compromise and buy a booster now to use in other people's cars, if any one else ever drives her. I would not buy her a new convertible when she outgrows her seat and think its fine to right into a Parkway.he
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Also, look at the Chicco Kid Fit, word from the kids has it it's more comfy than the PW
    I just bought this for DH's car. DS is 5.25, about 45" and around 43 or 44 pounds. DH and I both have Evenflo Symphony seats, but DH's car is smaller than mine and DS is looking a bit awkward in that seat as he getting bigger (no legroom, DH's backseat reclines slightly). Plus DH is dying to move him to a booster. I think in that car, at least, he'll be more comfortably. For my SUV, I'm trying to hold out until this fall when he starts kindergarten. I think a booster/seatbelt combo will be easier in the car line (DS has never been able to buckle his harness).
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If she still fits, and you don't need the seat for someone else, I would not move her. Who cares what anyone else says???? People are rude, and clueless. Mine are all in radians. DD is 8 and still fits harnessed. I'll move her full time when the seat expires or she outgrows it (but expires just shy of her 9th birthday). She has a LBB to use in carpool and our second car, she can follow the booster rules but she is still safer and I have no reason to move her. I also need room for 3 across, which is much tougher with a booster. and if they ever fall asleep in the car, they will surly slump way over. the 5 point helps with that a lot.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    If she still fits, and you don't need the seat for someone else, I would not move her. Who cares what anyone else says????.

DD1 is almost 5.5 and is still in a RA55. We're going to switch her to a harnessed booster within the next few months, but that's only bc we need the RA55 for DD2. DD1 will stay harnessed for a loooong time (she is still under 30 lbs though), however it will be nice to have the HBB option for emergencies when other people need to drive her short distances. But if we didn't need her seats for DD2, she would not be moving.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast