Default Any advice on ulcerative colitis?

I was just diagnosed and wondering what I should be doing in order to get this under control and feeling better. The doctor was not helpful, basically prescribed some medications and told me to avoid dairy, fiber and spicy foods but when I googled it that seems to be outdated advice. Any advice? Thanks!

If you are on gymbofriends (or can join) I believe they have a UC support thread which might be a good place to ask or read. There's a lot of overlap between these two boards in membership (with GF being much larger) so it's a similar demographic.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are some good resources on Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America that could get you started:
    http://www.ccfa.org
    Also a good overview of UC on UpToDate:
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/ulc...edTitle=1%7E17
    I'm sorry you got this disease--but hope you're on your way to feeling better soon with treatment!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you considered seeing a nutritionist? I would think that might be helpful in identifying foods to avoid but also coming up with a plan for capitalizing on what you can eat that supports healing and balanced nutrition.

You may also find good information in the celiac forums as there is commonality between UC and celiac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My husband had had UC for about 15 years now. About a year ago he started following the FODMAP diet and it's made a world of difference. He gets sick much less now and relies on his steroids much less too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

CCFA is a great resource, as a pp linked. I have 2 close family members with it. When you are flaring it good to stay away from dairy, high-fat, and high fiber foods (raw veggies, fruits, seeds and nuts).

The SCD diet is something you may want to look into. And probiotics (particularly VSL3) may be something you want to look into.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh