geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Cannon Beach, OR

I just made reservations for a week in a Cannon Beach hotel in August. Has anyone spent time in this area? What else should we plan to do or see in the area? I know tide pools are big and the rock is big. We will be flying in/out of Portland. Thanks.

DH and I went there a couple of years ago on vacation. We really liked the Mariners museum in Astoria Orgeon. Truly fascinating. There is also the Lewis and Clark Fort/National Monument in Astoria that would be interesting. A long day would be driving from the beach through the Columbia River Gorge. We based in Portland and did that drive and it was awesome--not sure you would want to do that from where you are though.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We went with our kids a few years ago - they were probably 7, 5 and 2. We put the little one in a backpack and hiked at Ecola State Park (a hike around a headland to a beach) and Oswald State Park. The beach at Oswald was the best for tide pools and caves and there were several trails with cool bridges that the kids loved. We had some cold rainy days so one day we drove down to the Tillamook factory and toured there. We took long walks on the beach, played in the sand, explored the sea creatures and had bonfires with s'mores on the beach at night. There were some good restaurants and the town is adorable. The kids actually swam a little on the nicest days. We had a really nice week there and the kids would like to go back when they are older and can do more serious hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by geochick View Post
    I just made reservations for a week in a Cannon Beach hotel in August. Has anyone spent time in this area? What else should we plan to do or see in the area? I know tide pools are big and the rock is big. We will be flying in/out of Portland. Thanks.
    We stayed in Newport, OR a couple of years ago and had a great time visiting the lighthouses, checking out the tide pools, visiting the Tillamook factory and whale watching. It can get pretty cool on the beach even in August.