bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Yeast diaper rash--need opinions

Posting here for traffic. We've used 2 tubes of prescription medicine--ketroconazole (sp?)) with desitin and its still not completely gone. It looks almost gone, but then come back again. Esp if we forget to put cream on even once. We started the medicine well over a month ago, probably closer to x2 months--shouldn't it be gone by now?! Her dr said just keep using it and it would go away when he refilled the prescription. I'm going to call in to ask for another tube. But should we be trying something else at this point? It definitely helped, but just wont clear it completely.

We've also gone through tons of desitin, have been trying to not give baths too frequently, keeping it as dry as possible down there, etc...

Thoughts?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Could it be the desitin? I never used that I used triple paste or butt paste. Have you switched to the chlorine free diapers? ( like seventh generation)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would try to use the prescription with A&D ointment and see if it improves. That is the combo that has always been recommended to me. I also agree to check to make sure the diapers aren't causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I would try to use the prescription with A&D ointment and see if it improves. That is the combo that has always been recommended to me. I also agree to check to make sure the diapers aren't causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I forgot about A &D !
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD's docs always told us to add cortizone to the 'script cream. ETA: Check with your pediatrician before you do this; the packages say not to use it on diaper rashes if you haven't been told by your physician.

I also switched from using wipes at every change to using Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion and Homestead Baby Wipe Concentrate for pee, leaving wipes only for poop. So it would be spray & TP for pee; wipe, spray, & TP for poop.

Last, and maybe I'm a little extreme about this, but I used disposable gloves to apply the prescription cream, cortizone, and coating of Butt Paste. I'd glove one hand, scoop up a little Butt Paste from the tub, squeeze on a little cortizone, and squeeze on the prescription cream before anointing DD's diaper area.

Seemed to clear things up pretty well ... and then I switched to cloth diapers overnight, which, believe it or not, actually helped eliminate recurrence.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 03-19-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Could there be anal strep or another secondary infection involved? We mis-treated a strep infection for months before we met with a very experienced Dr. who took one look and called for a strep test. The antibiotic cream they gave us cleared it up quickly.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

My boys have had strep several times, and their only symptom is a red, itchy anus so I agree with pp that it might be worth checking that out.

DS also had a yeast infection when he was little (I had thrush at the same time), and we used Triple Paste AF (our pediatrician told us to). The pharmacy in our grocery store had to special order it for us because they don't normally carry it, but it worked. I think it's easier when the anti-fungal is IN the cream like that. Amazon has it too. I do remember it being expensive (we found coupons), but I'm not sure how the amazon price compares to buying it in a store. You may call around and see.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11