Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FYI- this thread caused me to visit this new deli people have been raving about b/c I wanted chicken salad and didn't have chicken on hand. Stupid deli didn't have chicken salad.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A former coworker of mine made a chicken salad recipe a lot like the one you linked, minus the fruit.....but she used sweet pickle relish in hers, too. It was super simple but always tasted great. It seems like you're trying to improve a batch you have already made? I don't know how it would be with the grapes, but might be worth trying a little and seeing...
    Lizi

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Celery seed or celery seed salt helps a lot. I basically put it in any of these types of mayo based salads.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would add curry powder and sweet mango chutney! Perhaps swapping the dried cherries for dried cranberries and/or fresh chopped apples. I would keep the grapes, if I had them and also add some chopped cashews and diced green onion. I love chicken curry salad. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Celery seed or celery seed salt helps a lot. I basically put it in any of these types of mayo based salads.
    My MIL said the same thing, so I will try this next time.

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    I would add curry powder and sweet mango chutney! Perhaps swapping the dried cherries for dried cranberries and/or fresh chopped apples. I would keep the grapes, if I had them and also add some chopped cashews and diced green onion. I love chicken curry salad. :-)
    Not a curry fan, but this sounds like something my DH would love!

Ann

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Replace the 100% mayo with 50% mayo and 50% sour cream. (e.g., 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup sour cream). Also agree with the recommendations to use rotisserie or roasted chicken. Costco rotisserie chicken breast is an easy option.

I also like chicken salad with curry, or tarragon, or balsamic vinegar (not together) -- but I think you are aiming for a basic fruit chicken salad and these ingredients make a significant change in the taste.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    Replace the 100% mayo with 50% mayo and 50% sour cream. (e.g., 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup sour cream). Also agree with the recommendations to use rotisserie or roasted chicken. Costco rotisserie chicken breast is an easy option.

I also like chicken salad with curry, or tarragon, or balsamic vinegar (not together) -- but I think you are aiming for a basic fruit chicken salad and these ingredients make a significant change in the taste.

Enjoy!
    I'll definitely try that next time, thanks!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Try adding some finely chopped fresh tarragon.

And, yes, let it sit for a little bit to allow the flavors to blend.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2