schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need 2 new convertible seats

DN is *rapidly* becoming too heavy to lug around in his infant seat. He's got tons of headroom in the seat still, but it is horrid to lug him around in it. As the designated researcher in the family, I've been asked to figure out which convertible seats to get for him.

DN is 5 months old. He is in the 75-80th percentile for height and 25th for weight. (He's likely to be tall - my brother is 6'4" and DN has gone from the 25th % in height to the 75th in 2 months.) My SIL is the main driver and she drives a 2015 Durango with captain's chairs in the back seat. My brother needs to be able to drive/ride in the car while DN is rear facing, so that eliminates anything super huge when RF.

So I need recs for 2-3 convertibles.

1) Mom's car for every day use.

2) Dad's car for 1x a week or less. He currently drives a new Ford Transit Van (work car, but can/does use for personal driving). Occasionally, he also drives an older Jeep Cherokee.

3) Grandparents' cars for 1x week or less. They drive Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee, both newer models.

For the everyday car, I'm leaning towards a Britax, but have NO IDEA which one or if there is anything better out there.

For Dad and Grandparents, I have no idea. When my DC were little, the cheaper seat that was recommended was the Scenera. Still the best "cheap" seat, or is there something better?

TIA!
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Will they extended rear face? That affects my seat recommendation somewhat.

For cheap seat that allows extended rear facing but not long forward facing the Costco apex is fine as a back up seat but I don't love it.

I Love love love the graco size4me, it's about $160 and a wonderful seat for installation and ease of use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think they'll probably follow the AAP's rec of 2 years RFing. Beyond that, I don't know.
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

This doesn't change their need to research convertibles and buy them before too long, but remind them they can always just leave the infant seat in the car and take DN in and out of it instead of lugging it around if they want to delay or spread out the seat purchases. May give them time to find a great sale. We bought a Nextfit in our primary car and will be getting a Scenera Next for our secondary car. Neither take up a lot of room rear facing, but I don't know how long they last for tall kids since DS is 1% for height so that was not something I researched
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    This doesn't change their need to research convertibles and buy them before too long, but remind them they can always just leave the infant seat in the car and take DN in and out of it instead of lugging it around if they want to delay or spread out the seat purchases. May give them time to find a great sale.
    This is what I was going to suggest also. I have a Britax blvd and love it. The newer models have safe cell, which I know is a safety feature, but I hate it. If I were in the market for a convertable, I would consider the Britax marathon. The Click Tight install looks wonderful. In DH's car we have the Evenflo Symphony. The seat is fine, but hard to install with the seatbelt...the latch install was easy.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

I just bought a Britax Marathon Clicktight for DD who turns 3 today. She's still rear facing, and when she turns FF, this seat should fit her until she's ready for a booster, so she won't need an additional harnessed seat. The seat is heavy, but the ease of installation is UNBELIEVABLE! The Clicktight panel opens super easily. You thread the seatbelt (which is very simply done), fasten it, and close the Clicktight. That's it! I really love the seat.

I'm a fan of the 4Ever, but for less-used, the cheaper version, the Milestone is super easy to deal with, and with seriously little use, it will actually stay clean enough to use it as a booster later, should fit till about age 7-8, then a cheap backless can be bought after that (4Ever becomes a backless, but costs MORE than just buying two seats....)
    http://www.target.com/p/graco-milest...t/-/A-16721763
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have been really pleased with the Scenera NEXT. we just got one, to use for ERF for our almost 2 year old, in our secondary car. price is right, at $44. its not very tall back to front, so should fit behind dads seat ok. RF to 40lbs. will not last as a FF seat, but the seats that do will be very long front to back when RF.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Woot has the graco headwise for $109 today - sounds like it would be a good choice for most of these cars though maybe get something cheaper for grandparents.